PC-11 Two-Part Marine Grade Epoxy

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

backyardskier

PC-11 Two-Part Marine Grade Epoxy

Post by backyardskier »

Just found this while looking around for some new epoxy. After reading some reviews it sounds like an easy to use, super strong epoxy and easy to mix with 1:1 ration. Has anyone on here ever used it?
http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/pas ... /pc-11.php
vinman

Post by vinman »

I've used PC7 for stuff. Much like jb weld.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Did you use it for a full set of skis? Or just a repair?
Isawsass

Post by Isawsass »

I wouldn't use that for building skis, maybe for a repair. it says it doesn't bond to PE and it is thick no sag so it will be hard to spread.
Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.
Isawsass

Post by Isawsass »

Why are you looking for a new epoxy, what were you using, what was wrong with it?
Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Been using west system.

Looking for a new epoxy that is easy to buy in stores, and has a simple 1:1 ratio.
vinman

Post by vinman »

That stuff is not for building skis. Repairs maybe.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

if its easy to buy in stores, chances are it's weak and dumbed down for small jobs.

qcm/forrest. I doubt there's a 1/1 out there that will perform like the epoxies that were designed for ski/board building!!!
Doug
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

knightsofnii wrote:if its easy to buy in stores, chances are it's weak and dumbed down for small jobs.

qcm/forrest. I doubt there's a 1/1 out there that will perform like the epoxies that were designed for ski/board building!!!
Agreed, I doubt you'll find a 1-1 ratio epoxy at a big box store, if that's what you're looking for. I would say West epoxy is probably the most readily available epoxy for our application. I've used QCM and use Resin Research now, all which are ordered by mail.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I'm curious why you have a desire for a 1:1 ratio? Even if it's 1:1 you should still be measuring accurately with a scale. And if that's the case, what difference does the ratio make? (if you don't have a scale, buy a cheap digital scale from harbor freight, and then use cheap plastic cups for mixing, don't waste your money on expensive measuring cups).

And the big red flag is that this doesn't bond to polyethylene. So... like most of your ski. QCM/Forrest, and Entropy SuperSap are often favorites amongst builders, and have epoxies designed specifically for compression molded laminates. I use the SuperSap CPM and I love it.

The way this describes being mixed on a flat surface makes it sound like bondo or JB weld. I don't think this stuff is meant to go in a composite, it's just a repair or bonding agent.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

twizzstyle wrote:I'm curious why you have a desire for a 1:1 ratio? Even if it's 1:1 you should still be measuring accurately with a scale. .
I also wonder why 1:1 ratio important.
Entopy sell pump kit it makes perfect 1:2. Cost about $10 iirc didn't find need to used scale to measure epoxy
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison