Warning: DON'T USE FEDEX WHEN SHIPPING SKIS

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dr. Delam

Warning: DON'T USE FEDEX WHEN SHIPPING SKIS

Post by Dr. Delam »

I recently shipped some skis to my son and made the mistake of using FedEx. I did it online as I had an account and the price seemed reasonable. I put in all the box dimensions and weighed it and the price for ground shipping was close to $40. I printed the label and dropped it off at a pickup location thinking all was fine.

A month later I see my credit card is charged for $134 and after investigating they list my package as 94 lbs. and 8 feet long when it was actually 16 lbs. and under 6 feet long.

Disputing the charge with FedEx was denied and now I am left with disputing the charge with my credit card company. Hopefully they will back me up but it is a pain in the ass that I shouldn't have to deal with.

After doing some research FedEx overcharges on a regular basis. I guess the 16.5 million lawsuit that they had to pay for a class action lawsuit for overcharging hasn't deterred them from continuing this unethical fraudulent practice.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Sad indeed! Hope it works out for you.
So what other options are there for shipping skis? I went to a ups store a while ago and took the whole package in to get a price. I was wanting to sell some skis on line and wanted to get an idea of ship price. I don't remember how expensive it was but it was enough that I did not list the skis.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Last time I shipped skis I used a place call "The Package Store". They boxed and packaged the skis for $62.23 ($5 labor, $15 ski box, $43.23 shipping insured for $500) I believe they arrive to their destination in 2 days. Not exactly cheap.
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I know this is late but ship direct from a UPS sort center is the cheapest. Skip the middle man if you can. Any of the shipping or ups ship stores charge an arm and a leg.

I can typically ship a set of skis for no more then $35 insured for $600 to the middle of the US. Up and down the east coast is typically no more then $27 also insured.

I went to ship from a package store but then they quoted me an outrageous price so I walked out.

So if you can go direct to a shipping center. Way cheaper.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Good info! That's a great price. Did you box them yourself?
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

I do. I just packing wrap (the syran wrap stuff but for packing) and make a triangle shaped box. Tape and boom. I'm going to start buying flats of cardboard from U-Line and cut it myself on the CNC. Cheaper then having someone else custom make boxes.