Volition 2014

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Few more. All over the place this morning haha. FRESH PAAAAAAHT

Some little 127's I did for the manager of the local ski shops son.

amidnightproject

New graphics for my all mountain this year! Pretty happy with how they came out.

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

I LOVE those topsheets Chris, nice work as always! Are the brown parts going to show through some actual wood, or is that all part of the printed graphic? So badass.

go merica!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

amidnightproject wrote:
knightsofnii wrote:^

OK... you win, I fold
Folding on your dust collector? MR's cyclone is sweet...

no, folding altogether, those volitions are so sick looking why should i even attempt? hahaha

kidding.

Those skis look sick though.
And the website is quite nice. I have my store on shopify too.
+1 for military discount.
Doug
amidnightproject

twizzstyle wrote:I LOVE those topsheets Chris, nice work as always! Are the brown parts going to show through some actual wood, or is that all part of the printed graphic? So badass.

go merica!
Thanks twizz! Unfortunately no show through on this. To make it look nice I'd have to laminate a veneer to the topsheet. There's to much BS stuff above the core like VDS and carbon tow for it to look that nice. I wish! I may do a special run though of this graphic over a real veneer.
knightsofnii wrote:
amidnightproject wrote:
knightsofnii wrote:^

OK... you win, I fold
Folding on your dust collector? MR's cyclone is sweet...

no, folding altogether, those volitions are so sick looking why should i even attempt? hahaha

kidding.

Those skis look sick though.
And the website is quite nice. I have my store on shopify too.
+1 for military discount.
Haha thanks man! Love shopify. So slick and worry free. I pay and it works. Love it!

And thanks for the cudos on the mil discount. Gotta show the support!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Beautiful work! I'm gonna check out Shopify.
amidnightproject

It's worth checking out Steve. I like it quite a bit. No headaches and no worry.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

shopify is $$$$ but you sell one board or one pair of skis and its paid for.

i had someone help me with it, but mine still needs tons of work and updating. http://www.blaksheepsnowboards.com
Doug
amidnightproject

Nice shop Doug!

I'm making some small changes to my website right now, then i'll be making adjustments to the store soon. I still use wordpress as the framework for my main site, then shoot people over to the store to purchase. That might change though and I might just start using the shopify framework for everything.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I had my site on a wordpress template, hosted on a friends server.
I was paying a small amt of $ for it yearly but it was too difficult to manage. And to have him build a custom web store would have been $$$$$

Shopify pretty much turned out better than the original site and allows me to sell stuff. Like I said, it's $ (one board sale), but the alternative is to either be an uber web nerd, or pay someone to build and host it all.
Doug
amidnightproject

I've got the web nerd side of things covered fortunately. I like word press because it makes pulling in media from other outlets easier. I thought about writing a couple plugins for shopify to do the same so that i could ditch word press all together. I just don't have the time for it at the moment. I think eventually I'll stop using wordpress all together and just use the shopify framework for everything.
amidnightproject

Finished that dust shoe awhile back. Finally got to use it for cutting cores yesterday and it works awesome.

Cost me a whopping $35 in materials and some time. Well worth it. The added airflow not only kept crap off the table but also kept the bit a lot cooler then it was staying. Proper chip-out makes a big difference! :oops: :D
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

I'm going to redo my spoilboard this weekend (I think) and I'm interest in what your smaller holes go to? do you have any more photos?

Also, I was reading on a CNC site and they suggest that you should water down wood glue and coat the MDF to seal all the pores. I might try that for an even better vacuum.
amidnightproject

I've heard of watered down wood glue before. Others I know use wood sealer or varnish and let it sit but this is only done on the underlying gridwork. Doing it to the spoil board surfaces is a waste of time and material.

I haven't sealed mine yet. I just have been lazy. I know I should but. You know...

I did however just pull apart a shop vac and connected my vacuum table hose directly to the motor... HUGE difference.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

my new spoilboard/vacuum table is now 2 layers of mdf:
bottom 3/4" layer with a hole for vac hose and channels, and a top layer
of 1.25"mdf with channels on the underside and 1" deep holes on the top.

I sealed these together with wood glue, and the top layer is so heavy i placed a few bricks but mostly its own weight held it down.
I ran a bead of wood glue around the perimeter of the two sheets where they rest together.
Most of this wood glue got absorbed into the mdf, i may do more as there are a few holes, but the vacuum is holding strong.
Doug