Flotoma Snowboards

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

No pain, no gain. Crank it up and see what happens. But live to tell about it;)
nistler

Post by nistler »

Ok wow lot of replys. Plan B is currently in emission as of right now. I'm either going to do Holutas or the plywood one by gozaimaas. About the gozamiaas one, is it just normal 3/4" plywood or 2cm that you get at Home Depot or is it some special like baltic birch stuff?

Alright I just read the press thread and it said exactly "Standard grade 17mm plywood, nothing special here". I dont understand how that press doesnt split in half right down the middle unless before you put the metal there.

Dtrain I like your attitude
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

If you have access to a welder at all then I would say go steel. Any type of scrap steel beems can be used with a bit of creative thinking. I started with an old steel rack made of 60mm heavy wall square tube. Cut it up and started from there.

If your welds hold the good thing with steel is if it isnt strong enough you will see it start to bend, rather than explode like wood.
nistler

Post by nistler »

gav wa wrote:If you have access to a welder at all then I would say go steel. Any type of scrap steel beems can be used with a bit of creative thinking. I started with an old steel rack made of 60mm heavy wall square tube. Cut it up and started from there.

If your welds hold the good thing with steel is if it isnt strong enough you will see it start to bend, rather than explode like wood.
I would do steel if I was going to be making a lot of skis, but I think it's too big and heavy for my small carport. I also don't know anyone whose a welder and cutting it would be a nightmare with a hacksaw.
ben_mtl

Post by ben_mtl »

My suggestion then is go with vacuum molding !
A bad day skiing is always better than a good one at work...
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

nistler wrote:
gav wa wrote:
I would do steel if I was going to be making a lot of skis, but I think it's too big and heavy for my small carport. I also don't know anyone whose a welder and cutting it would be a nightmare with a hacksaw.
no point in starting doing it if you want to make a couple pairs skis. First l made was a press big enough to be production press not because I want to go in production simply because opportunity presented itself to make this press.
If you don't have the tools or not willing to buy it you will have uphill battle every step on the way

make craigslist your friend

here couple for your

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/4707254696.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/tls/4719884788.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/4716819635.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/4713465310.html
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
nistler

Post by nistler »

I'm rethinking pneumatic vs vacuum right now but I'm going to be make my mold this weekend so could I get some feedback on my profile on page 1?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

You're making a snowboard and your press is 8" wide? How wide is a normal snowboard (I have no clue... I'm a skier), I can't imagine it's as narrow as 8"? I realize I'm late to the game here, but forget that press, go vacuum. Sounds like you don't have the ability or desire to build a firehose press the right way, so do vacuum for your first/second/maybe third board and stay safe. If you get hooked to the hobby, then you can take your time to build a press right.

Your profile looks fine, but I know nothing about snowboards. I've done a few pairs of skis that were entirely reverse camber like that, and they are a blast, unless you're going fast. They get super squirrly with such little edge contact. I assume the physics are more or less the same with a snowboard.
nistler

Post by nistler »

twizzstyle wrote:You're making a snowboard and your press is 8" wide? How wide is a normal snowboard (I have no clue... I'm a skier), I can't imagine it's as narrow as 8"? I realize I'm late to the game here, but forget that press, go vacuum. Sounds like you don't have the ability or desire to build a firehose press the right way, so do vacuum for your first/second/maybe third board and stay safe. If you get hooked to the hobby, then you can take your time to build a press right.

Your profile looks fine, but I know nothing about snowboards. I've done a few pairs of skis that were entirely reverse camber like that, and they are a blast, unless you're going fast. They get super squirrly with such little edge contact. I assume the physics are more or less the same with a snowboard.
That press was a dead end. /of that press. I have it figured out but I'm not going in depth because it doesn't matter anymore. I thought vacuum pumps were much more expensive then they actually are so I will be doing that. I can also use vacuum pressing for other things I make. Looking at amazon, I'm thinking the FJC 3.0 cfm pump at $100 (http://www.amazon.com/FJC-3-0-CFM-Vacuu ... acuum+pump) or should I get the 5cfm pump or does it really matter.
ProbsMagobs

Post by ProbsMagobs »

I would go with an oilless vacuum pump. I got one refurbished off eBay for cheap, maybe $75. Runs great, no maintenance, 2.5cfm I believe. I also have an adjustable vacuum press I can post some pics of if you're interested.
nistler

Post by nistler »

ProbsMagobs wrote:I would go with an oilless vacuum pump. I got one refurbished off eBay for cheap, maybe $75. Runs great, no maintenance, 2.5cfm I believe. I also have an adjustable vacuum press I can post some pics of if you're interested.
You probably wouldn't know this, but how often do you have to change the oil in a vacuum pump which requires it? I've looked around and some day change it everytime and some say change it every 300-500 hours of use. Also do all pumps spit out a oily mist?
sammer

Post by sammer »

I work with vacuum pumps almost everyday in my day job.
You have to change the oil every time, assuming 12hr or so pressing.
And yes they all mist. Cheaper pumps mist more, more expensive ones you don't necessarily see it but they still mist.
Buy a decent oilless vacuum pump, it might cost you $100+ off ebay but vacuum pump oil isn't cheap.
A good quality 2 stage rotary vane pump will cost way more.
Buying good quality oil wholesale costs me about $7 every pair.

Buy the biggest one you can afford 4-5cfms. You can get a good seal but it's nice to pull down fairly quickly and to maintain if you do get a slight leak.

Or google fridge compressor vacuum pump and build one if your really cheap and handy.

Glad you gave up on your press plan, as others have said you could die. The pressures are enormous.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I have for sale good quality 2 stage rotary vane pump with 6 or 7 cfm 110/220v
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
nistler

Post by nistler »

Is this the right kind of vacuum for vacuum bagging? I'm liking the price of this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161435523081?ss ... Track=true
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

There is not even any specs on that one. Could be an ebay score, or a book end!

You want somthing that does 4cfm and can pull 28-29 hg.

4cfm+ means it will suck down quick and hg is your total vacum power. The maximum vacum is 29.?? Which equals 14.7 psi.