super sap clr

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

MadRussian wrote:For now I have no plans to make anymore skis and want to see how the current PU finish will work. In the future if you don't mind I'll come back to this discussion
Absolutely.

This stuff. As sketchy as it is ordering PU from ebay is the best thing I've ever used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLYURETHANE-CL ... 0219352478

It goes on light. Dries VERY fast (you can sand it in 30 minutes and apply another coat). And you can polish it to a great shine. It's very flexible an d doesn't chip. If you scratch it you can buff it and apply another coat to the top surface.

I just order direct from the company now. Comes in all sorts of quantities.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

amidnightproject wrote:
Absolutely.

This stuff. As sketchy as it is ordering PU from ebay is the best thing I've ever used.

It goes on light. Dries VERY fast (you can sand it in 30 minutes and apply another coat). And you can polish it to a great shine. It's very flexible an d doesn't chip. If you scratch it you can buff it and apply another coat to the top surface.

What you describing sounds too good to be true lol exact characteristics I've been looking for.
Is it safe to buy this stuff from eBay? Where else it available from? I did a quick search and lead back to eBay lol
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
amidnightproject

MadRussian wrote:
amidnightproject wrote:
Absolutely.

What you describing sounds too good to be true lol exact characteristics I've been looking for.
Is it safe to buy this stuff from eBay? Where else it available from? I did a quick search and lead back to eBay lol
It works. It's all I use now for veneer skis. It also doesn't add the weight an epoxy will.

http://www.polymercompositesinc.com/

It's made by Polymer Composites Inc. It's not listed on their website. I always call them and place the order that way.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Max seal is sweet shi t
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I'll have to try the Max Seal and compare it to System 3 LPU. System 3 is around $60 a quart. I like exterior PU or Spar varnish because they level out real nice but the smell takes a long time for it to dissipate even after the PU has cured a couple weeks.

Switched back to LPU, no smell and water clean up. I found it works best with a foam brush or cotton rag and wiped on in thin coats.
amidnightproject

I found Spar to be the same way. It lingers forever!

Give max seal a shot. It's great stuff. Brett recommended that way back and I've been using it since. I've tried more hot coats since and various PU's but for the lasting durability, the MaxSeal simply can not be beat.
sammer

Post by sammer »

I can't believe you guys are sharing Bretts proprietary information.
Remember what happened last time?
He's gonna be pissed! ;)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
amidnightproject

sammer wrote:I can't believe you guys are sharing Bretts proprietary information.
Remember what happened last time?
He's gonna be pissed! ;)

sam
Ha, he did post it on the board at some point. I think only a few of us are crazy enough to try all this random "no-name" sh!t anyway! :D
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

amidnightproject wrote:
It works. It's all I use now for veneer skis. It also doesn't add the weight an epoxy will.

http://www.polymercompositesinc.com/

It's made by Polymer Composites Inc. It's not listed on their website. I always call them and place the order that way.
link from their website go to same eBay page. by description they making great product. Wonder if any of their products will work to make skis
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

amidnightproject wrote:
It goes on light. Dries VERY fast (you can sand it in 30 minutes and apply another coat). And you can polish it to a great shine.
How long did you wait until you polished? With normal poly its a about a week. says that it's "hard" in 50-60 minutes.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

(Resurrecting the thread...)

I'm using Entropy CLR. Switched form Resin Research only because Entropy fits into my BIO/Earth friendly mind set. Othewrwise resin Research is a great product. Happy with Entropy CLR, bonds wells etc but long long cure time.

BUT I'm going to finally break down and get a heat blankets. Entropy CPM has a pot life of 50 min, which is good when you want to take your time. It says full cure in 20min at 180F.

What has been peoples experience with CPM? Does it cure that fast? Even if it was 40mins that would be fast. Do you still need to wait 5-7 days for full cure? Sounds like you don't. If that's the case I'll use CPM when I get the heat blankets.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I use CPM. I ramp up from room temp to 180 as quickly as the blankets will go. This stuff gets really runny and can be messy for about 8-10 min before it begins to gel. Ramp it quick to prevent too much epoxy from escaping while it is runny. I cook it at 180F for 20 min and allow it to cool to ~140F before pulling the laminate out. I let it cool for another ~10-15 min then begin cutting them out of the flashing. As far a full cure, not 100% sure of that time frame I'd have to check the TDS.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks Vin. The specs say full cure is 20 mins, doesn't say anything about letting the resin cure anymore after that. Great info! I'll have heat blankets for next season, no doubt! At that rate you could make 3-4 a day at you leisure.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

The usual suspects for Entropy supplies in Australia have still not sourced any CPM.
Has anybody else had any luck here in Aus trying to get this stuff?

I'd be interested to hear what people in Oz are using for resin. I'm using a local WA product that they call FR251. The properties are pretty good, super easy to wet out, even in cold weather. The only thing I would like is for it to be a bit lighter in colour, it's a real yellow epoxy. It has a max cure temp of only 80'C though, and I have it in the press for half hour at 35' to let it gel, then slowly ramp it to 75' and then when at temp soak it at temp for 40 minutes. Then give it about ten minutes to start to cool a little then pull from the press, total time under pressure is a bit over 1.5 hours.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The other reason I want heat blankets is I have tiny pin holes in my hoses. I spent a weekend finding them and patching inside and out and the compressor still cycles on about every 30min to maintain 40-45psi. So a few more pin holes must have spawned. I'll probably get new hoses at some point too, but it's time for heat anyway, pressing all day and hearing the compressor cycle on is annoying . :?