Planer Crib Design

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Planer Crib Design

Post by skidesmond »

This design has been bouncing around in my head for a long time. I wanted a planer crib that was adjustable to make skis from 150 cm - 190 cm. Like every one else, space/storage is a premium in my shop and to house multiple cribs would take up a lot of space.. Today I made a mock up the crib and did a dry run on it and it worked quite well.

Pics of the mock-up are below. The final crib will be a smooth 3/4 plywood base and siding/adjustable hardboard.

I used 1/8 inch hardboard (about 3.01 - 3.02 mm) to create a stepped incline in front and behind the binding area. The right side is the front and the left in the tail section. The spacing of the hardboard in the front in 230mm and the spacing on the back hardboard is 196mm. The middle section is at 400mm. I left plenty of room in the tip and tail section in case the planer decided to chew the tip area off, that way I won't lose core, hopefully.

Front section:

Side view. I placed a sacrificial piece of hard board over the adjustable area to smooth-en out the transition points. Works like a charm.

Here is a sample piece of poplar I ran through the planer using the new crib. The piece measured 3/4 x 3.5 x 44 inches. At the first transition point (where it is the thinnest) it measure 2.8mm. At the last transition point, which is the start of the binding area, it measured 11.65mm. I'm pretty happy with that. Just need to determine if I need any spacer material in the binding area. Right now I'd say it's pretty good for a male adult ski. If Ineed to thin out the binding area, I have some thick stock paper that will make a great filler for the binding area.

Now I need to work on making the hardboard pieces slide. I plan on using counter sink bolts with nuts on the under side, of course the nuts on the under side will be counter sunk as well. The hardboard will be dado-ed to allow them to slide.
rockinB

Post by rockinB »

Have you profiled any cores yet with this setup? This looks like a fairly simplistic, straight forward design and I'm curious as to how it's working.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I've only run sample boards to work out the binding area.
But it works fine. I'll be planing cores this weekend. I use
Non-skid (skate board) tape to keep the cores from moving.
So far it works. I'll post any problems.
Dream

Post by Dream »

Grip tape - what a great idea and I happen to have a rather large roll of it! I will be trying this method...thanks for the idea.