Adustable Bottom mold again

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Minga

Post by Minga »

That low tech version with MDF spacers or similar looks like good starting point. Keep you updatet on the process.

@rnordell: Are there any advantages of using heated oil/ethylene glycol than a heat blanket? Why the extra (expensive) work than?
rnordell

Post by rnordell »

I can not speak from long term experience with silicone heat blankets in presses, but we do use them for heated repairs on composite aircraft structures under vacuum bags because of their flexible, conformable nature. My rational for not including it in my press was a concern with durability of the blankets internal wiring over several years in a press. If the heat blanket is adequately sandwiched between layers of metal to distribute the stress concentrations that will develop at the perimeter of the ski, I imagine the blanket will last for quite some time. Failure of internal wiring is not a concern with an internally heated platen, but the heated platen does add significant cost and complexity as it requires plumbing lines, fluid and reservoirs, heaters, pumps that can handle high temperatures, a platen with internal heating channels, etc. When I started working on my press design I researched who I thought made the best presses and was impressed with Langzauner. The Langzauner presses are pieces of heavy duty industrial equipment made to run day and night in large factories, and as far as I could determine, they are almost all heated with oil. Image
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I don't understand purpose of the discussion.

Langzauner press the build for high volume production and probably to get much higher temperature compare to what we using. Liquid heating have it advantages for example easier to overcome heat loss to achieve consistent temperature. Also in production environment press can be quickly cooled down to get ready for next pressing. Is it nice to have press like Langzauner definitely. Does it worse making one like it definitely not. Can it be done differently to achieve same result .....yes.

But if money is no object go right ahead
:D
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison