Dealing with cdw

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gozaimaas

Dealing with cdw

Post by gozaimaas »

So I often read posts saying go to cdw for bulk edge material, I am trying to buy bulk edge atm from them but they are asking for info some of which I am not sure about.
I thought they would have made so much ski edge they would just run some off for me but its not so easy. They are asking for the following specs, Im going to supply a cad drawing of the side profile but a little help with the grade and tolerance would be great from the metallurgists amongst us would be greatly appreciated ;)

Grade

Thickness

Width

Length

Thickness/width/length  tolerance

Tensile strength or Hardness ~ rockwell 48

Yearly demand
falls

Post by falls »

I have a cdw brochure you might be interested in if you PM me your email
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
falls

Post by falls »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iui9spzx6kd3h ... e.pdf?dl=0

The edges I have been getting from ski lab have the large T stamping, teeth thickness is 0.65mm, height is 2mm, edge width is 2.2mm, total width is 7.75mm and step size (for base material) is 1.35mm

I have a CAD drawing from the project I am doing with a year 12 kid at the moment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thvdkyp6obvt4 ... s.pdf?dl=0

I think the ones I have are one of the ski 129 type and my measurements are within 0.05mm tolerance.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Cheers Falls.
I've got no idea why they are trying to.make me reinvent the wheel. Looking at the brochure now.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

They have atleast 2 instock profiles with the base offset. Just order one of those. They have coils sitting ready to ship.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

MontuckyMadman wrote:They have atleast 2 instock profiles with the base offset. Just order one of those. They have coils sitting ready to ship.
Yeah that's what I was expecting.
Being that I am in Japan my email has gone to the Chinese branch and I'm dealing with them who seem to make it as hard as it could possibly be.

I sent an email asking for the 129 profile with 1 stamping pattern in se67 material with and without primer. 1.2mm step so I will see what happens from here.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You want it primed for sure. It will rust in 5 seconds otherwise.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

So after basically quoting part numbers from their catalogue I get this response. I give up with the chinese branch of cdw lol.
I will email the US branch.

We provide material, not products. What you mentioned is all about the products.
We need the information for raw material which is before stamping.
richie

good luck with CDW !!!!!

Post by richie »

classic, when I first dealt with CDW they referred me to the Chinese fellas, they were a waste of space. I finally got in touch with Mark Zadak from CDW USA (I think thats his name, a good German lad assigned to the USA branch of CDW!!!) and he was helpful although tended to come back with quite brief 1 liners so it took a while to progress things.

Like the others I went with a standard "stamping" with 2.2 x 2 x 0.6 and large teeth, the catalogue has a mightily impressive number of profiles I just asked for the common one that works with my base 1.4mm and in the end I got what I needed. I'd love a coil as its def more economical, I waste 15-20% of mine as offcuts.

As MM says you really need to look after it well, keep it extremely dry and warm in your environment in winter I imagine that could be a challenge?

cheers
Rich
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Yeah I emailed Mark who referred me to Austria.
Should be smooth sailing from now I hope. Im going for the primed edge cause my house is buried in snow for 4 months and shit just rusts away, last thing I need is a roll of rusty edge lol.

For future reference the emails are
Austria
sylvie.paillier@cdw.de

USA
mark.zajac@us.waelzholz.com
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

the 129 style is the most common around here and is coated.

Why can't they get you that? it's an "off the shelf" stamping for them.
Doug
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

knightsofnii wrote:the 129 style is the most common around here and is coated.

Why can't they get you that? it's an "off the shelf" stamping for them.
I changed my base thickness to 1.4mm which gave me more options over the 1.2mm.
I ended up with P129 C01C
grainhog

Updates?

Post by grainhog »

Has anyone interacted recently with either of the people for whom email addresses are provided above? After filling out the Waelzholz inquiry form online for some of the 129 profile primed edging many weeks ago and never receiving a response, I found this thread. I wrote an email to both of these people several days ago and have yet to hear back. Any info greatly appreciated.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Mark takes phone calls on the reg. He only takes orders via email. Call him with questions in the great state of ohio. The edge buisness is .01% of what they do. They do it well but they dont really care.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
grainhog

Post by grainhog »

@montuckymadman Thank you. Everything you said is exactly correct.