Breaking skis (destructive testing)

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Svimen

Breaking skis (destructive testing)

Post by Svimen »

Are there anyone here who´ve built anything for the purpose? I´d like to break some protos at some point in order to find the most durable layup, and while I´ll likely be able to do this, it would be very helpful if anyone has already done something similar.

Edit: Both a slow approach with gradually increased load and a slap-method (like Line does in one old video) would be viable.

(Yes, I own/work for Down Skis and this would possibly be commercially valuable for me/us.)
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Oh yes cold wheather slap test and load test like k2 with a come along and newton meter. Old foam skis explode imediatly with slap test.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

That's all I did when I worked for K2 as an intern. It was great fun. Did tests at room temperature, and in a giant freezer. It wouldn't be appropriate for me to share any of their methods I'm afraid.
Svimen

Post by Svimen »

@MontuckyMadman, thanks, newton-meter and a ratchet-type setup was my idea for the slow method.

Care to discuss how you did the slap-test? I´m having a hard time figuring out a good way to swing the skis with enough force...

@twizzstyle, sounds like a good time!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

You can stand on the tail of the ski but for stiff skis drive a car on it. Should be able to crank it back with a come along and do a quick release.