try to find right epoxy on the market

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

motoman

try to find right epoxy on the market

Post by motoman »

Hello,
my question is about the epoxy.
I have read that the majority of people use EMV-0043 epoxy.
Also CPM/CPL heated compression resin by Entropy Resins is good.
I try to find same kind of epoxy in my country but its all in vain.
The only one thing I have found glue on the basis of epoxy that I have already tested. It has very strong adhesive properties, but in the same time it is expensive.
AEROBOND 7300
Epoxy Adhesive for Structural Bonding AEROBOND 7300 system is recommended for structural bonding of laminate, aluminium, wood and steel.
Its formulation with reactive elastomers gives flexibility, peeling and fatigue resistance.
This system is often advised in the aeronautical field to bond aluminium honeycomb and for the ski industry.

Some people say that it might be possible to use marine epoxy.
Is it really good?
May be someone use another types of epoxy.

Best regards.
chrislandy

Post by chrislandy »

That stuff is THICK!!! You couldn't wetlay that

I use Huntsman LY 5052 / Aradur 5052 and LY1564 / Aradur 3487 They noth have a 2hr pot life so theirs no need to rush but I also don't mind a long cure time so that isn't a criteria for me at the moment. They do other resins which have a faster cure time eg LY1564/Aradur 3498 Viscosity is 400-900 mPas, 40-70min post life, 10min gel @ 80deg with 30min@100deg postcure etc...

http://www.huntsman.com/advanced_materi ... xy_RTM.pdf
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

The system you posted is made by Sicomin. Ask the distributor if they can get you the Sicomin SR8500/SZ9525 System, which is a heat cure epoxy specifically made for the ski industry. They might be able to order it if they have a supplier for Sicomin products. Here are the specs: http://www.sicomin.com/datasheets/product-pdf1158.pdf
motoman

Post by motoman »

Thank you, guys.
I will contact local suppliers for these epoxy.
Hope they can provide delivery, otherwise I will have to make an order from abroad.