vacuum press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

China is all good but oac has the answer. Send him a pm.
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

question for all the tech guys out there,

is this a worthy pump for a press?
OAC

Post by OAC »

I'm fortunate to have industrial strength pumps that can run for days so actual my experince is some how limited.
If your bag is sealed properly, any pump will do...I would say. If it's made for continious run for several hours. No problem. I have no experience of oil less pumps though. Just check so it doesn't run too hot.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

If you own a big shop air system you can use the venturi systems as well. Have one and im very pleased. But, depends on your air source. If its too small i would go for a electric vaccuum pump too
Tom
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

I did a google search for it and found this. http://www.dvp.it/en/component/tags/tag ... pumps.html
I'm not sure as it doesn't mention vacuum, only preasure, and 120 l / min.

I would recommend going for a reconditioned Thomas vacuum pump. €119.00 here in Germany. In the States, things like this are always cheaper. The non reconditioned ones without new seals are sometimes a bit weak.
I bought the model 2660 over e-bay here in Germany, (If you are in Europe, then contact me and I can recommend a seller).
It is an industrial, oil free pump and can run for days on end. Mine gives me -0.9 mbar vacuum which is heaps for longboards. Haven't built skis or snowboard yet.
Hayden.Cameron

Post by Hayden.Cameron »

I'm late to this one but you can minimise the stretch of your film by building steps at the mould edge. Just use some off cut 1x1 or 2x4 and place it along side the mould edge. By stepping the mould edge down gradually you don't stretch the vacuum membrane as much and can use the cheaper membrane.
Hayden.Cameron

Post by Hayden.Cameron »

I'm late to this one but you can minimise the stretch of your film by building steps at the mould edge. Just use some off cut 1x1 or 2x4 and place it along side the mould edge. By stepping the mould edge down gradually you don't stretch the vacuum membrane as much and can use the cheaper membrane.