Where to get Pre made cores in Europe

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Akiwi

Where to get Pre made cores in Europe

Post by Akiwi »

Hi All, I am looking to get into ski / snowboard building after building a few longboards using vacuum technique.

Does anyone know of a place where I could buy pre glued cores in Europe. I am located in Germany near Munich.
I don't have a problem with profiling or cutting them to the correct shape, just as I don't have access to a large band saw or large table saw where I could cut create cores about 7mm thick.
Also my local wood supplyer doesn't seem to have the woods I need.

I tried ordering from boardbuildingsupply.eu, but they seem to have gone out of business.
I also tried tds.at, but they only build commercially, and from 100 cores or more.

Are there any other suppliers, or is there an easy way to build/cut my cores myself. haven't found much info on building cores here.

Thanks in advance
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Embarrising!
I have been searching for ages, and about 1 minute after posting this I found junksupply. com

Are they good?
casmat

Post by casmat »

Contact mikic1
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi,

as far as I understand you have everything you need to do the core, just getting the wood in correct size is the problem.

you can buy good wood at skibaumarkt.de - its about 1.5 hours away from munich, so you can even pick it up if you like.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

pmg wrote:Hi,

as far as I understand you have everything you need to do the core, just getting the wood in correct size is the problem.

you can buy good wood at skibaumarkt.de - its about 1.5 hours away from munich, so you can even pick it up if you like.
Haha, pretty close. Google sais 1 hour 33!

Ok, I thought I had to glue the wood then cut it to the right size. I have a bunch of g clamps and glue and epoxy etc, so I guess I will do it that way. I haven't found much info on making cores. All tutorials I have read or seen seem to start with the already glued core.

Any tutorials on building cores then. I want to do a snowboard first, then skis later. Snowboard will be for one of my children. About 50 kg and will be about 155 long. For on trails and off piste hopefully in powder. He doesn't do parks much.

Skis will be all round with emphasis on off piste. I have nordica Doberman rs for skiing on the groomed areas. But they are absolutely bollocks in powder.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Imho Georg from skibaumarkt offers also ready to shape cores
Tom
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

You are right.. I missed that when I looked at their shop.

Hmmm, I think I will need to try to find a wood supplier here and make myself. It will probably save a load of money in the longrun.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Ok, Still looking at building cores.
I spoke to a local carpenter about wood to see what he had. His reply was, tell him what I want and he will get it / make it for me.

I will start simple.

If I buy a plank/Planks of white ash say 2 cm high.
what is the best format for building cores.
E.g. should I cut it into 2 cm strips and just randomly mix them together and glue them?

Or is 2 x 2 not the best format?

Is there a scheme one should use when taking the strips from a plank and glueing them together?

E.g. every second one flipped lengthwise.

Any tips appreciated.

I intend to laminate about 30 cm wide, and then get the carpenter to put it through his plane / sander to get it flat top and bottom.

Then I will cut it out and profile it.
And hopefully build something.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

The format depends on the wood but 2x2cm strips are a good starting point. Ideally, you want strips with long and fine grain running the length of the core with as little defects (knots, resin) as possible.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Cores are pretty straightforward...
Pick 3 nice 1x4's (25x100mm)
Glue the flat sides together.
Run thru the tablesaw or use a hand plane to get 1 nice edge in the block. (This runs on your fence on table saw)
Rip the block into 17-20mm strips. (You should end up with 4 pieces, each containing 3 glued together strips.)

Glue these 4 pieces together.
Use a couple boards and some plastic sheet to hold the strips flat while clamping.

Once the glue dries you will have a nice plank almost 300mm wide and 17-20mm thick.

Clamp it down to your flat work bench and put a bead of hot glue around the perimeter.
Use flat rails and the router bridge to machine 1 side flat.
Cut into approximate shape.
Flip the plank and glue it flattened side down again,
Swap to profile rails or useing my simple profile jig place shims in the predetermined locations.
Machine profile into core...

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8454

Tools... tablesaw, router, clamps etc. you will need to buy or borrow.
All can be found fairly cheap.

Can try to dig up some pics, If this doesn't make sense, let me know.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Thanks guys. Great information here.
As I mentioned in another thread I am going to try to build a vacuum profile table. I have all the tools I need, just not a plane.
When I get going I'll start a thread in the Journals Forum.