Core profile table

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I think someone here made rails out of flat steel, can't remember if that worked well, but it looked plenty sturdy. When profiling with a router bridge, make sure not to push down on the router during profiling as this might deflect your bridge ever so slightly and give you inconsistent results.

Kingswood also uses a vacuum holddown system, but they have a bunch of channels cut into their baseboard instead of holes. From my experience holes work a lot better than channels though.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Flat steel rails was possibly me ... but non adjustable. I use them just as true edge ... and my 3 or 4 mm ones are too thin, they deflect at the screws a little.

For the adjustable version i would use round steel as well like someone here did before.

On flat the vacuum system with holes works quite well, on a crib it depends on the wood core and the profile. When profiled down it works good, at the beginning the ends need to be glued down. Will upgrade to a dual vaac system later and see how this works out.
Tom
pmg

Post by pmg »

Wow, that Kingswood thing runs damn damn nice. Definitely faster than me and my planer :)
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

pmg wrote:Wow, that Kingswood thing runs damn damn nice. Definitely faster than me and my planer :)
it deceptively simple. I tried to make something similar and it didn't work. Well worked but couldn't get accuracy I wanted. his adjustment method looks simple but take forever to set up. Eventually build my own design happy with results now I can cut the core in 10 – 12 min. first I use it as a planar to make one side flat. It took a while... Almost quit twice lol was very frustrating at times.

btw I didn't like to use around staff for rails over time it starts to take shape of its own and more and more difficult to adjust
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Oops, Didn't see the replys here.
I got my table finished, and made my first core. It worked like a dream. Vacuum hold down was very good. I could lift the whole table with it.
My only problem is my router doesn't have a fine adjustment knob. so getting to 2 or 3 mm was a problem, and I trashed a practice core when I cut too deep. That's not a problem though, as I will buy a new Router with micro adjustment. The second one can be put in a table setup for edges and rabbeting.

I am looking at getting this router.
https://www.bosch-do-it.de/de/de/bosch- ... 199905.jsp

The alternative would be the professional series one.. but it costs about 4 times as much
http://www.bosch-professional.com/za/en ... 291-ocs-p/

And then I could buy an entire Planner .. Grrrr
I need to keep it cheap as my bank account is a bit empty at the moment.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

I abuse this one since a few years, its ok for a green machine ;)
Tom
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

OK, Thanks Tom. The difference in price is €117 for the Green Home series, or €372 for the professional series.
Probably for my limited use the green will do... but I do like the robustness and versatility of the blue professional series.
Oh well. As usual Champagne taste on a beer budget!.. Maybe I could sell my mother in law & kids and stuff!
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

no craigslist or eBay in Germany?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

The big adantage of the blue is that you get spareparts like bearings from bosch (and longer and beefier power cables too afaik). 80% of my boschs are blue. But with the green (the router and a jigsaw) im quite happy (in relation to the pricetag). And i did a lot of routing during the last years...

But .... i have the biggest blue drill .... the bohrfutter is quite dded ... self repair close to impossible (its glued, you need special tool or lots of brute force ... i failed both) ... to repair its 120-150 euros ... do your math ;)
Tom
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

I recently bought a blue drill, and just love using it. Every now and then it's nice to be a gear snob and get something with a bit more quality than the stuff at the joe bloggs hardware store.

I'll probably go for the green bosch router.. as the price difference is just too much. Will have to wait till my pay cheque arrives though.
JSquare

Re: Core profile table

Post by JSquare »

Akiwi wrote:Hi All,

One thing I am not sure about is how far apart they should be. E.g. what is the standard length of the highest area of the core on ski's or snowboard.
Dude. Calipers....ski shop... measure yourself some thickness profiles of skis you like.