Canadian composite suppliers?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jon Quarrie

Canadian composite suppliers?

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Anyone out there who can give me the details of a good carbon / fibreglass supplier in Canada? I've used ACP composites in the US before for 10.9oz Carbon but the weak Canadian dollar means their prices are high for me now. Any help would be much appreciated.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

feel your pain brother! hard getting stuff here!
IslandRider

Post by IslandRider »

I get most of my cloth from Composites Canada outside of Toronto. Shipping is a bit of a pain, but they're ok to deal with and usually have what I need.

Coast Fiber-tek is decent in Vancouver area. IPP can get stuff in an emergency, but they're prices are whack. Also Noah's in Toronto will ship too. Marine Outfitters seems to have a decent selection, never used them. I think Viking Plastics is big in AB.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Jon, what do need? I have connections all over for composites! If I have what yA need for a pair or 2, Id hook yA up

-derek
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

I'm looking to get some 10.9 Oz carbon in a 5HS weave or something similar. I used it on a project last winter and it worked really well. Think that might be a big ask but any help is appreciated.

Jon
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

I'm looking to get some 10.9 Oz carbon in a 5HS weave or something similar. I used it on a project last winter and it worked really well. Think that might be a big ask but any help is appreciated.

Jon
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

I imagine you are trying to shop in CA to avoid the conversion rate. That said I have found the best deals and awesome service from Soller Composites here in the US and their prices might overcome the exchange rate. Just wanted to plug them here for the great deals over the years.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

2nd that. john sollar answers the phone, talks to you, has advice, and sends it out. cced emails, different divisions of companys, no returned calls or emails for the little guy, gets frustrating! +1 for sollar.

scrap your above carbon choice and try their 8 oz triaxial carbon, its weaved, but you've already had success with weaved. OZ snowboards uses this fabric for retail decks.

"Crimp" is a real thing that occurs when weaves are used for products that will bend/flex. Richuk was the first to bring it to my attention for research.

Nobody who has used a crimp fabric has ever reported failure here. if so id like to hear about it!
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at Sollar composites. Happy to try a different product or two. Every day's a school day!
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Wow the prices at Sollar really are good. Thanks
camhard

Post by camhard »

I'm not huge on Fiber-Tek, but they can work in a pinch. I just find them expensive and they don't really have the weaves and weights that are best for skis.

Soller does look awesome! Will probably grab some carbon from them.

I bought a roll of the Vectorply ETLX2200 (triax 22oz e-glass) from Composite One, and quite like them. If you need some, I could maybe send it to you at cost (just need to check what is left). Originally I had it split into 5", 6" and 12.5" widths (with a 3.5" bit left over if you're doing really skinny skis!). Would ship to you via Canada Post from Vancouver (V6A1M3).