Edges - CDW vs Metalldeutsch (SWD - Friedrich Deutsch)

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

szymon

Edges - CDW vs Metalldeutsch (SWD - Friedrich Deutsch)

Post by szymon »

Hi,

Does anyone have a comparison between those tho edge manufacturers? I have been using Metalldeutsch and it was ok, but I have the feeling that edges were rusting easily - on a ready made ski (not during the storage on shelf).
I use standard CK60 edge, because for that the MOQ is low. I know that they use 100Cr6 material as well - does anyone know if it's better?
And regarding the other manufacturer - does anyone have a comparison if CDW edges are better/worse (more rust resistant). They claim to use CK67 material but as they said - after many tests this material is not any (considerably) better than CK60 (60% of carbon).
I would prefer to use CDW because they have smaller MOQ for bend edges:) But first of all I want to use better - more rustproof resistant edges. I know - rusting is not the only factor, but it's important for customers.

Anyone? Thanks in advance,

PS: I am located in Europe
pmg

Post by pmg »

CK60 and 100CR6 will both rust easily, maybe a slight advantage for the 100CR6. In germany its widely known as "Silberstahl", if you can speak german you will find quite some information about it.

IMO 1% Carbon in 100CR6 is too much for our usage, the 0.6% of the CK60 seems more sensible. The edges in skis we use usually have a hardness from 40-50 HRC, which is a common range for the CK45-CK60 steels. A tool steel with 1% carbon is usually used for hardnesses above 55 HRC.
Last edited by pmg on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Uups, its been some time since I worked with tool steel. 100CR6 is not "Silberstahl", so forget that hint.

But lets look at the components of both steels:

CK60:
0.6%C, about 0.3% Si and about 0,8% Mn

100Cr6:
1%C, 1,5% Cr, about 0.25% Si and about 0.35% Mn

Si and Mn are two components which make the steel ductile/tensile (which is the right word in english regarding steel?), and there is more in the CK60.
If there is more then about 0.85% of C in steel, it will start making it a bit more brittle.

So just regarding the ingredients I would go for the CK60.
And the 1.5% Cr won't help to prevent rust, this only works if there is about 12% Cr and more :)

Cheers
richie

Re: Edges - CDW vs Metalldeutsch (SWD - Friedrich Deutsch)

Post by richie »

szymon wrote:Hi,

Does anyone have a comparison between those tho edge manufacturers? I have been using Metalldeutsch and it was ok, but I have the feeling that edges were rusting easily - on a ready made ski (not during the storage on shelf).
I use standard CK60 edge, because for that the MOQ is low. I know that they use 100Cr6 material as well - does anyone know if it's better?
And regarding the other manufacturer - does anyone have a comparison if CDW edges are better/worse (more rust resistant). They claim to use CK67 material but as they said - after many tests this material is not any (considerably) better than CK60 (60% of carbon).
I would prefer to use CDW because they have smaller MOQ for bend edges:) But first of all I want to use better - more rustproof resistant edges. I know - rusting is not the only factor, but it's important for customers.

Anyone? Thanks in advance,

PS: I am located in Europe
I've been using CDW and very impressed, although I've not used anything else so far I do not have a comparison. However in NZ we have extremely rocky conditions and so far even after lots of very severe abuse my splitboard edges have only dulled but never cracked or dented. They stay very sharp and take the hits on heel side full power under foot very well. The odd bit of a tune is all they need. Dodging rocks in Nz is all part of the fun since we have no trees to ride in!
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2