Wooden bottom mold

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

heke

Post by heke »

Akiwi, I thought that the moulds ( not over mdf ) are made of aluminium, this is difficult to get.

I could get some stainless steel plate. It is much harder vs. aluminium. So I was wondering if 1,5 mm or 2 mm stainless steel plate is enought good for making a mould like used here. https://www.twistemskis.no/
pmg

Post by pmg »

If you can bend it properly, why not? It does not distribute heat as well as aluminium, but surely good enough. I'd give it a try.
heke

Post by heke »

Bending is not a problem I can go to one workshop. I will try it. I have a small heating system when using vacuum and in Finland we all have Sauna. I can heat things up 100 deg C easily. Have use sauna for heat treatment of epoxy, when gluing bamboo rods. But taking vacuum pump with skies to sauna might lead to divorce 😊.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Not sure whats better ... Sauna and no aluminium supply or Aluminium supply and no sauna ;)

Regarding the ss. 1 to 2mm can be quite stiff, depends on the alloy. You have to try. Or just order a whole 1x2m aluminium sheet and get it cut for 3-4 molds.
Tom
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

Some might considering divorce as an option
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

Stainless steel is hard to work with. If aluminum hard to get you can use mild steel. 26 or 28gauge should be sufficient
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
heke

Post by heke »

Hannes wrote:Some might considering divorce as an option
when i went to shop with my wife to buy Makita router, she told that "it is good that you don't tell me that by making skies you save money, but I know that you like wood works". ;) I have also bought a small planner, which I have plan to do many years.

Anyway wood core is almost finished. As we have Sauna in every house, dry, white, strait aspen 28 *95 mm, lenght 1,8 m and alder is available at every shop. I put some marple in the area of bindings, 5 mm thick 60 x 100 mm. I made a 5 mm deep hole in the core. I will put some CF on top, so I dont know is there is any use of Marple or not.

If it is difficult to get metal, it is easy to get wood and veneer. Here is two local shops that has huge selection of dryied wood and veneer.

To get aluminium sheet I need pick it up distance is 350 km one way..they dont ship.