Planer bridge

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

silljer

Post by silljer »

Dtrain wrote:You building up is sask?

not building yet, been piecing together my shop and meticulously reading for about 15 months now. almost ready start pressing. but yeah, i sure am! get a lot of weird looks when i tell people i make skis haha. quite the ice breaker if i do say so myself :D
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

mammuth wrote:HPVC 1 is born .. HandPlanerVacuumCrib ;)

love it!
How does it work?
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

silljer wrote:

not building yet, been piecing together my shop and meticulously reading for about 15 months now. almost ready start pressing. but yeah, i sure am! get a lot of weird looks when i tell people i make skis haha. quite the ice breaker if i do say so myself :D
you didnt get the joke, did you?

And pls. open another thread for your story and dont clutter up this one
Tom
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Nice rig! You might want to go with smaller but closer spaced holes for the vacuum table to ensure even holddown pressure.

PS: posting pictures of pinky&brain but complaining about other people posting off topic?! ;)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

mammuth wrote:
silljer wrote:

you didnt get the joke, did you?

And pls. open another thread for your story and dont clutter up this
one
It ain't clutter. It's a compliment followed by a single question and answer.
Want every post to concern your planer crib, move it to a journal. That said....looks like your working hard. Good to see
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

He should start a journal too!
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

He did some time ago already ;)

Didnt want to sound rude but i did read almost the whole forum in the last year and its always a pity if you have (maybe) interesting threads where the information is hidden between lots of offtopic. Maybe im little bit too sensitive cause of lots of forum experience in other tech. areas.

btw. it wasnt your post im complaining, no prob with little joke in betweeen (i posted the pinky stuff too) but when our is saska ;) guy starts explaining his history i felt it would go very off topic soon.

Anyways, never mind, wasnt a real problem :)

Peace!
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

So back to topic ... LOL ... Tests look promising. Did work on this "i do a quick modification" yesterday till 4 in the morning.

The holding force of the holes is very good, need a lot of pull (almost impossible) to lift the core. I have smaller holes (5mm vs 7mm now) in my ski vaac table. Will see later if im good.

If i would do it again (maybe i modify it later) i would do the trust rails with really thick steel (5-10mm), the flat 3mm steel distorts a little bit with the screws. Were talking less then 0,1mm but for now it should be ok.

Doing the recalc of the spacers now and will try on real core afterwards. Hope i feel like brain after, no pinky. Or maybe better to be pinky? :)
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Shaped 2 cores, worked very well.

Chris, this is for you, approx 150-200 holes more ;)

But unfortunately it didnt help. My raw cores (12-15mm, most with "camber/pretension" already) dont get sucked down. The ends are lifting. A little bit of hotglue helped. When the ends are planed down to approx 6mm everything is fine. Was the same without the new holes.
I tested before with a half shaped core, so i was i little bit overoptimistic.

Maybe i have to open the inner vacuum ports more (inside the crib) or i need a second shop vac.
Last edited by mammuth on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
falls

Post by falls »

At the end of the day it's only the last few passes treat really matter. So if it is holding well from 6mm onward you should be ok.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

True. I hoped for a slicker solution, but good old hotglue is ok too :)
Tom
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Hey Mammuth, none of your pictures work so I don't know how your hand planer solution looks.

I saw this today. Look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0GutjcKZI
about 2:40

Is it like that?
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.