Design questions

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gilo

Design questions

Post by Gilo »

Hello everyone

I currently profile my cores 2-12-2 and then lay up as per my other posts - mixture of biaxial glass and UD CF.

This, so far has produced the flex patterns that I like - softer tips into a powerful sweet spot and thence into a slightly stiffer tail. widths vary between 88 -100. So far so good.

I was thinking about some powder/off piste skis - say a waist of 112-115 and I was musing about the flex pattern. The skis are likely to be lightly rockered throughout and it struck me that in order to get the best performance from this sort of ski the flex ought to be more even. I had in mind changing the profile to 3-11-3 in order to achieve this. I want to get a smooth even flex.

Can anyone comment on this? The tips would be a bit stiffer than currently and the underfoot area more flexible. I am sure this would even out the flex, but is this even desirable in the sort of ski I am talking about?

All comments/views gratefully recieved

Thanks

Gilo
artski

Post by artski »

Believe it or not an entire millimeter anywhere on your core makes a lot of difference. I have taken big swings at core thickness before and wasn't happy with the result.
That said, its expensive to experiment with these things so you have to decide how much is too much.
In my experience going from 12 to 11 made the ski softer than I wanted in the middle, but I don't know what you're using for composites and that makes a difference too.

Sooooo, not sure if this helps but......
heke

Post by heke »

As novice..would it help using other Wood? I made my first skies 2-11.7-2 those are 111 mm in the middle and 190 cm. Light tip rocker, not very stiff but enough torsion. The tip part is soft.. I like to ski in soft snow works also in piste some how.