graphics on paper

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

graphics on paper

Post by MadRussian »

up until now I done graphics using cotton and paper only for logo. Thinking to try full graphics on paper. It looks like paper saturated with epoxy well but I done only small pieces.

And you thought how graphics on paper will work?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Try searching the forum. This has been discussed before. For me doing graphics on paper didn't work at all. Way to little durability and they didn't bond with topsheets.

However, others such as amidnightproject have successfully used paper in their skis.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

chrismp wrote:Try searching the forum. This has been discussed before. For me doing graphics on paper didn't work at all. Way to little durability and they didn't bond with topsheets.

However, others such as amidnightproject have successfully used paper in their skis.
thx I couldn't remember who did it. I'll check his Journal.

I'm not concerned with durability because durability would be about equal to cotton. My only concern is bonding

My search with criteria "paper graphics" come up with way too much of unrelated subjects :oops:
Thomas A. Edison
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

MR: I had the same issue about a mouth or two ago. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. A lot of times I Google Image search the site and that helps be sort through all the BS.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

skimann20 wrote:MR: I had the same issue about a mouth or two ago. I searched but couldn't find what I was looking for. A lot of times I Google Image search the site and that helps be sort through all the BS.
I usually have hard time find something in search... too much unrelated stuff. In the past I saved treads on the subject of could be interest. Unfortunately not on the subject of graphics on paper. remember reading about it but couldn't find find actual discussions.
Thomas A. Edison
sammer

Post by sammer »

MR,

I know rice paper works, I've haven't tried it yet but know a couple people that have had good results.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

I use tissue paper.
Sometimes works well, sometimes not.
You need to experiment with papers. Some go more seethrough than others.
Also Don't wet sand, as it seems to make the paper go opaque.

My Son recently made a longboard and printed graphics on photo paper. The whites came out well. We will see how long it lasts. Photo paper is of course quite thick so you can see where it is under the layer of epoxy.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

If the photo paper has a glossy coating the epoxy probably didn't bond to it and will come off when the board is flexed.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

sammer wrote:MR,

I know rice paper works, I've haven't tried it yet but know a couple people that have had good results.

sam
I knew about rice paper. Remember reading people done graphics on rice paper only on the section of the ski. Is it possible to print on rice paper in one piece like banner? IIRC rice paper is too thin to stick it into a regular printer… Correct?
Thomas A. Edison
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

I had problems finding rice paper that was thin enough.. that is why I went for Tissue paper.

The Tissue paper, like rice paper is too thin to print so I tape it to a piece of normal paper.

Experiment here.
I have not tried anything larger than an A4 sized piece of paper .. as my printer can only do that.

I found that if your graphics are smaller than the normal paper it works best when it is higher up on the page, so the printer can pull the paper in before getting to the tissue paper. Also tape it all around.
If the tissue is at the pottom of the page and is used to pull the paper into the printer, then it often crumples up , tears and causes a paper jam.

Black an white, or dark colours work best, And try to get images where you can cut them out without paper outside the image.

E.g.

I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
heke

Post by heke »

I did the same way as Akiwi, putting paper to office copy machine was existing moment but it worked well.

Would get better result to cut all non printed area away before laminating.