To big tip and tailer spacer?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

backyardskier

To big tip and tailer spacer?

Post by backyardskier »

I'm designing a pair of skis right now and the tip and tail spacers are rather large, tip 12" tail 8.5". Now is that to big for a space? Dumb thing to ask but only way to find the answer is to ask.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

What's the intent behind making them so big? Depending on the material you're using, its probably a bit heavier than your core material and you're adding weight in the worst possible place (at the tips, increase swing weight)

I don't think there are really any technical reasons not to - assuming you've got your process down for good bonding (again assuming plastic tip spacers), there shouldn't be any issues. While I can't think of any reason not to do it, I can't really think of a reason TO do it either.

My tip spacers have always been 6", because I buy the stuff in 12" squares, and one square cuts down easily into four 6" spacers for a pair of skis.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I usually use a spacer between 100 and 150 mm
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

It will work. But assuming you're using plastic tip fill which is typically 2mm, you'd have a fairly soft ski in the tip/tail section, which is fine if that's what you're looking for.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

I've noticed a trend in failures at points where there are material seams that go straight across my snowboards: ie: where core and tip fill, sidewall/tip fill meet.

If you guys are using square tip fill pieces, I figured I'd just share that little bit ;).
Doug
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

Ok back at this question. Ive been making my skis with a pretty large tip and tail spacers it works ok but they are pretty soft in flex vertical and horizontal even with 21 oz fibeglass. I have some un directional carbon and my plan is to use fiberglass in to the tip and tail spacers, and then on the tip and tail spacers use the carbon and have them go in to the core an equal amount to the fiberglass. Would something like this work, any one tried it before?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

The plastic is denser than wood. Makes for more moment in the tips. Ur skis may not be heavy but more weight in the tips then there needs to be.
ur just adding more weight to the tips.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.