Puzzle cores

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hegan

Puzzle cores

Post by hegan »

I have access to a 36" cnc and have tried to cut my core shapes out with it. I did this by placing the core in cutting one half and flipping it to cut the other half. The alignment was off and it ended up being a waste of a core. The solution I came up with is a puzzle core, but I'm not sure how strong a core like this would be. Any feed back ?

Image[/img]
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Why you dont cut out routing templates with the cnc (3 parts) and use these to cut out your core with a router. This way you have a one piece core and still not the hassle to do the routing templates per hand. Aligning the templates for routing should be easy.

p.s. just for cutting out ... not for profiling
Tom
hegan

Post by hegan »

mammuth wrote:Why you dont cut out routing templates with the cnc (3 parts) and use these to cut out your core with a router. This way you have a one piece core and still not the hassle to do the routing templates per hand. Aligning the templates for routing should be easy.

p.s. just for cutting out ... not for profiling
Yes just for cutting, I have used a 3 part template like that in the past. The goal I'm trying to reach if this could work is just to save time but avoiding using a template. The next pair might be made this way 90% committed to trying it.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Maybe router your cores to an precise width and then machine a drop step into a spoil board or vac table on your cnc. Then you can just slide your core along in 3 setups. Even just one shoulder you always push one side of your core against will work.
You then cut down to only 0.1mm above your table and when your done just pop the core out.
hegan

Post by hegan »

gav wa wrote:Maybe router your cores to an precise width and then machine a drop step into a spoil board or vac table on your cnc. Then you can just slide your core along in 3 setups. Even just one shoulder you always push one side of your core against will work.
You then cut down to only 0.1mm above your table and when your done just pop the core out.
Do you mean to profile the thickness?
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I was more talking about cutting the outer shape.
But you can also profile the core at the same time.