Kampai Custom

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Years ago I put a lot of thought into a CNC edge bender. I had what I thought looked like a fairly decent design all drawn up in Solidworks. My biggest hesitation was doing an open-loop stepper control (like my CNC router and mill), because if the edge slipped at all in the rollers I would have used, the edge would have been trash. I wanted to do some kind of closed-loop optical position sensing on the edge... annnnnd that's where my expertise and care to learn more ceased, and I carried on bending edges by hand.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I was thinking of either urethane wheels to move the edge (more grip) or using a 4th axis to mill the drive wheels with a negative pattern of the edge teeth. The wheels then drive from above and below the edge.
Like I was saying though, might still be a while off.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Got a few boards on the go for other people but I've been keen to try a few new ideas with the CNC so decided to throw together a fun little resort basher for myself.

The base straight out of the press.
[/img]
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

And the topsheet after trimming it all up.

For some reason the photo makes the skull in the tail look smaller. They are both exactly the same as the cut from one side was simply swapped to the other.
Trimming the veneers is a pain in the butt though.
It's no Kindred or Boardkor board but I reckon it looks alright.
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

That looks awesome. The Tip looks fatter also. Is it?
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Thanks dude.
Yeah the tip is 5mm wider than the tail. The photo makes it look like more than 5mm. It's a 160cm board with mild magnatraction and a hybrid rocker shape.
motoman

Post by motoman »

Hey, man! nice work! looks Yin Yang stile) how you keep veneer particles stay together during lay up? do you use some reinforcing glue meshes?
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I had a request for a beginners board. Not really what I usually build but it gave me an excuse to build a Hybrid Camber mold I had wanted to build for a while now.
He wanted hammers either end of the board so this is how it turned out.

It's American walnut and Tasmanian oak veneer.
159cm with mild magnatraction and a nice mid flex.

Here's the base.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I've got a matching pair on the go too. These will be cool when they are finished. The top and base with be the same as each other.

I bought a black veneer as the base for the topsheet and it looks awesome. Can't wait to see how it looks all laid up.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Got a few boards on the go. A women's powder board, 2 men's shorty fun boards and I still have that matching pair to get done.
The drag knife has been getting a work out and has been turning out pretty sweet.

[/img]Image

The black and red base is the customers requested base for the matching pair boards. Both of the boards will be the same.

Been working with asymmetric layups lately and got some sweet, light boards but they are definitely a bit more effort to keep the camber profile accurate to the mold.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

you make me want a cnc router / cutter :)
Tom
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

The CNC is a lot of fun. More fun than when I used to run them every day for a living too.

Here a new shape I'm getting right into at the moment. Got 3 of these to build. This is the first and the most basic of topsheets. It's hard to see in the photo but this is actually a black timber veneer. It has bits of grey and purple flowing through it and looks pretty sick in person.

It's a hybrid camber with nice smooth transitions and a mid flex. Will be a sweet ride for my mate who it's for. He's only short, like under 5 foot and so this is a 148 and really quite narrow, should be easy for him to hammer around Japan on.

Specs are;
core - 1.6, 6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 1.6
600gsm triax top and bottom.
No carbon in this one.
Tip - 288mm
Tail - 278mm
Waist - 243mm
Weight - 2800gms[/img]
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Interesting press you have!

Think i got infected with CNC virus... Have to build a machine for nxt season. Thanks! ;)

P.S. you should add a small sticker with "Right ->" to your bottle opener ... :)
Tom