How to split

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mammuth

How to split

Post by mammuth »

After starting to talk with richie about building split boards i open a thread here so its open for everybody...

Im in the process doing my 1st split, so i like to sum up my findings. Maybe you guys can chime in for ideas, thought and hints :)

1. Im building with abs edges, so my idea was to put a stripe abs in the middle of the core (so its a single core layup which will be cut afterwards), build up the board as usual (beside base & inside edges, s. pt. 2) with alignment dowels

2. will do rabbeting also in the middle, so the inside edges have space in the single core and profide also some more alignment beside the dowels

3. cutting out the base in 2 pieces for every side, spot glue edges with loctite as usual. will do just 3/4 edges inside and outside

4. after laminating cut the core apart and voila two split halves

so far for the theory ;)

Finishing: Here some thoughts about inside edge grinding for finishing from chrismp:

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... highlight=
Last edited by mammuth on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

What im really unsure is how to handle the hooks. Will use prowder hooks, c-clips, maybe a combination prowder hooks & plum hooks.

I did see on some boards that they are mounted without inserts (just talking about the hooks, not the bindings), just drilled from base side, countersunk and finish. Is this a good and reasonable method!? I assume the bolts need to be glued in/sealed to protect the wood core.
Last edited by mammuth on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

And finally regarding the construction (i did split up the Qs so its more easy to reply)

Do you guys do a split with different flex then the same board non split? Some told me a split should be more stiff
Tom
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Make the split stiffer. Add 1-1.5mm to thickness between bindings. The ride may be stiffer overall, but it needs it, especially in your mode
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

I do monos, so the binding area is completely different.

I assume the added stiffness is necessary for split mode / walking!?

Or for riding too?

Compared to a snowboard i assume there should be not so much difference cause the position of the bindings is unchanged on a mono, on a snowboard there is a much bigger difference between wide from center stance in riding mode and on center stance in walking mode.
On snowboards just the area between the bindings is stiffer and tip/tail the same?
In general monos are much more stiffer then snowboards. But honestly, i have no clue about touring ... ;)
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Never did inserts. Whats the best way to do it? I know theres several ways to skin the cow (i like cats so lets skin cows)...

Boards have transparent base, so i dont want to use stuff which is too much visible.

I would do it like that:

Route recess for insert, drill hole
put strip of glass (kevlar/carbon!?) over recess, cut hole, put insert trough
laminate as usual

Maybe it would be better to put a stripe of vds over the inserts ... would like to avoid that (transparency...)

Opinions?
Tom