Embrace the strange

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

burnside

Post by burnside »

Love this thread.

I had an idea in the same vein as PTTR's short skis for having fun on low-angle aspects and less-than-great days: A super-short snowboard that would be basically a snowskate with bindings.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a 110cm with a fat waist - just enough length to have a small nose and tail outside the bindings, to have fun on little sidehits or beginner parks when it hasn't snowed in a while and bombing groomers is getting old. It wouldn't need even edges - it might be more fun without!

Additional features could be a spooned/3D base like Bataleon boards, or a reverse side cut (shaped like a Lucero Black Label skateboard) for some fun in powder pockets.

What do you guys think? Has anybody built something similar?
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I don't know about a 110cm board but lots of people have made short boards. Reverse sidecut is a bad idea on a short board.
A 120 could be fun.
The bad snow days you describe though are the days when a killer carve board is heaps of fun. Maybe a 130 with pretty much no tip or tail, just all edge and only like 60mm of tip and tail.
Go for it though, at least it will be something different. You wouldn't get me on a short board on hard groomers without an edge though.