Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wood sidewall or sidewallless

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ski/Snowboard Design and Layup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadRussian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: wood sidewall or sidewallless Reply with quote

I've been using wood sidewall. Every time making the core I'm questioning is it necessary...extra steps ... cut and glue sidewall.... extra template to make. It's a lot of work and I'm not sure if it necessary.
The only benefit I can see is sidewall is one single piece of wood
skidesmond

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sidewall should be a denser harder wood than the core. But if you're using a hardwood in the core like maple/birch/ash, etc. then just make the outside stringers wide enough to be sidewall from tip to tail. It's called variable width sidewall. It's done all in 1 glue up. No separate core making and then adding a seperate sidewall.
MontuckyMadman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u dont hqve issues with sidewall blowout from base side edge strikes and ski impact then its barely better. The bled core sidewall does have more tendancy to blowout where the very lam cut into the sidewall but not much. Flex may chnge but doubt its noticble depends on how wide ur sidewall strips are and how fat and thick ur skis are

I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I agree. you can forgo a separate sidewall glue up altogether as long as the core glue up is super clean with out gaps. All depends on what you want the finished product to look like. It may be a bit softer but I bet it won't be noticeable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ski/Snowboard Design and Layup All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: