Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back and looking forward to building!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Journals: Log Your Ski Building Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepingAwake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doughboyshredder wrote:
Ahhh, got it. Are you saying you'd have to sand the sheets before layup, or are you thinking during finishing?

Sry, what I meant is after pressing the ski when trimming off the flash and finishing the sidewalls there is a lot of sanding involved and generally sanding natural fibre composites is soo much nicer than glass.
sammer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% solids epoxy usually are 0 VOC's
PU's are generally low VOC's
I think you may have a hard time finding a suitable replacement.

Flax eats a lot of epoxy and this adds to weight as well as more product use.

Pre-cure would still need some sort of glue and would require a lot more grinding, sanding, finishing.

Glad to see you back :-)

sam

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Gilo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello everyone

can someone explain the mechanics of pre-cure and why you might use it over wet lay up?

thanks

Gilo
SleepingAwake

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the advantages and disadvantages of pre cured laminates i can think of right now are:

+ easy processing with the possibilites of doing precuts of the fibers between the recess from the edges or things like that
+ good consistent fiber alignment and fiber volume fraction
+ Possibility to use different resins (toughened glueing resin) for the bonding between core and laminate.

- limited choice of layups available
- clear layups not really possible as far as i'm aware with commercially available products

I usually work somewhat with precured laminates that i make myself tho under vacuum infusion. This way I have basically all the advantages without the disadvantages as I can make whatever I want. This allows me to have really high quality, void free laminates even tho i press my skis in vacuum.
It's more work tho.

I'm sure i forgot a few things but this should cover the bases

cheers, Reto
falls

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey doughboy, welcome back
These guys from Bend are making some slightly different boards
https://www.snoplanks.com/pages/technology
The photos I have seen look like the bamboo cores run full length and are thicker than average. I thought they didn't actually have any glass/carbon in them and used a thicker core to compensate, but it turns out they do have carbon/glass. I think snowoard materials still do a precured layer with carbon strands down the middle and neversummr use something like this in their boards.

There was (is?) the old K2 park ski that had a horizontal laminated core of thin plys that got shorter the higher they went in the ski to create the flex. Much like a skateboard construction. Can't think of the name at the moment but sounds like the bambooyah (and coinceidentally is from K2 as well). Here you go:
Afterbang - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAyFbftIfYw

Paulownia wood is common at the moment esp mixed in with bamboo and is a fast growing plantation tree. Some people who were trying to use the bcomp cores ended up switching to paulownia as weight was still good and bcomp was a bit harder to process.

Bamboo is pretty good as sidewall material also.
Hannes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about building an ecoski as well. I made a pair with biax flax and glass which I really liked. I also liked its dampness. But what about a ski with a full flax laminate? Will it be too damp? Earlybird writes about using carbonstrips. Core would be full ash.
skidesmond

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use full flax and carbon. I use uni carbon about 4-5 ounces. I use a 2inch strip of carbon down the middle. Skis are damp but carbon gives them good rebound. And I use ash for the core.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Journals: Log Your Ski Building Progress All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: