Tip spacer attachement

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gilo

Tip spacer attachement

Post by Gilo »

Hello everyone - I am becoming very frustrated with my inability to ensure that the tip spacer doesn't move during pressing. 4 out of 5 times everything goes well and the junction between the core and space is spot on and then something moves and although it doesn't ruin the ski is annoys the heck out of me.

I've tried hot glue - pain in the arse to do, messy (for me!) and I just don't like it.

Fibre glass tape and micropore - I find when they are wetted out that they lose their adhesive qualities and the spacers can move

I've tried stapling the spacer to the core - the staples tend to split the core which is a pain and then they move

I know that this topic has been covered before, however in the meantime has anyone come up with any fool proof, proven method to avoid any movement.

Scorchio in the UK at present!!

Gilo
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Maybe drill small holes and sew it on.
falls

Post by falls »

The bigger companies staple the tipspacer to the sidewall at a point outside the layup (ie gets cut off with the flash). Usually this is with ptex sidewall and ptex tipspacer. You have to find short staples or grind the staples down.
If you are using wood sidewall you could widen your core at the tip and tail to provide an area to staple into (either incorporate this in your template or glue on an extra piece of thin wood in this area)

others have done this with tape too
viewtopic.php?t=2210&sid=9fc992756c78f7 ... 1dbcfe0477
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
kit

Post by kit »

I use the same super glue as for the edge tangs to base connection. I make sure the ends of the cores and spacers are true and square, sand with #80, and stick 'em together. I pre-bend the tip spacers, which also have the same rabbet as the cores, to the bend of the shovel. Every once in a while I'll bump one off but never have trouble in the bag. Same for the tail fill. Seems to work ok.
Gilo

Post by Gilo »

thanks all - I think that a bit of gorilla tape in the right place may be the answer.

Still scorchio in the UK, out of the world cup and I have a ton of work to do.........on the plus side I have a week's fishing in Ireland coming up. Happy days.

Gilo
BartSt

Re: Tip spacer attachement

Post by BartSt »

Like this

Attachments
IMG_1180 copy.jpg
IMG_1180 copy.jpg (489.72 KiB) Viewed 4447 times