Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ski Design Theory

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ski/Snowboard Design and Layup
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cadman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Ski Design Theory Reply with quote

I have seen a family of skis designed in a couple of ways and was wondering which method gives the best results or makes the skis all ski similar.

The first method for a family of skis is to make the middle ski with the tip and tail length constant along with the width on each length and "stretch" the section in between to come up with the desired length. Assuming you would use the same formblocks, you would end up with the same tip and tail heights for each ski length. Sidecuts would vary and Mid Running Surface to Waist would scale.
Blend curves at the tip and tail would vary also. I would imagine that you could play around with the mid running surface to waist dimension to vary the length of the blend curves.

The other method I have seen is to design a ski that is in the middle of the family using a fixed width and sidecut. Then you decide if you want a certain tip and tail height with your side profile. Then you decide where you want the wide points of the ski and put in a particular length blending curve at each end of the sidecut which will determine what your widths end of being. In this case the waist would be a constant. You can change the sidecut radius to make the tip and tail widths wider or narrower. I believe that the running length is variable along with the effective edge

There is alot of variables to consider here. Which method seems to get the best results for you or do you use a different method?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Ski/Snowboard Design and Layup All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: