Heat Blanket Layup

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Cadman

Heat Blanket Layup

Post by Cadman »

I am working on a new formblock layup and will install heat blankets on top
of the mdf formblocks. I have been told that it is good to put a piece of uncured fiberglass on both sides of the blanket to keep from burning the formblocks if they over heat or short. I was thinking of adding a layer of ptex on both sides that would encapsulate the heat blankets and the fiberglass. A sheet of metal would go on top of the layers. Do you think that the heat would cause any issues with flatness when the skis are pressed due to the ptex getting soft?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Don't you have a cattrack and your press bladder between the form blocks and the heat blanket?
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Whatever you are describing here is completely unnessecary.
If you are worried about the mdf burning or your heat blankets shorting you have larger problems than glass or plastic can mitigate IMO.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

I decided to put two layers of glass under the heat blanket and cover it with
1/8 inch rolled aluminum on the bottom. I think the plastic will soften and move around too much. (IE ptex). I am worried about the skis not coming out flat with plastic so I decided on the uncured glass. This is the bottom section only.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

You can keep it really simple and simply place your heat blankets between two sheets of metal. If it helps, here's a description of my stack: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... ion#Layers
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Sorry, completely forgot about the bottom mold haha

I have a sheet of 4mm HDF board on top of the mold, then the heat blanket.