First core design ever

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

TheKingInYellow

First core design ever

Post by TheKingInYellow »

So I spent the past couple of hours designing a core that I think I would enjoy. Meant to have a flex of about 5-6/10.
The idea is Birch as the primary core with two Maple strips down the middle. this accompanied with cork inlays. Some that go all the way through on the widest parts of the board and two that go half way through where the bindings go.
Thoughts? Suggestions?
I've never designed a core before and just found out about self board fabrication yesterday really.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 11.54.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 11.54.11 PM.png (397.1 KiB) Viewed 8214 times
Dr. Delam

Re: First core design ever

Post by Dr. Delam »

How are you planning on doing your core profiling? I've found that I got a lot of tearout using a planer on birch even with sharp blades. Other methods probably won't have that problem though.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

You can get a medium flex out of any type of wood. The real question is, how thick should a core of a specific species with your desired outline dimensions and reinforcement layers be in order to achieve the desired stiffness. Try to search the forum for core thickness values others have used and try to estimate from that. Another great resource for estimating stiffness of a board is to use the calculator over at junksupply. Here is a link to a detailed desription on how to use it including the link and the license key for the calculation tool: http://www.junksupply.com/guide-to-the-simulator/
TheKingInYellow

Dr. Delam wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:57 am How are you planning on doing your core profiling? I've found that I got a lot of tearout using a planer on birch even with sharp blades. Other methods probably won't have that problem though.
I have no idea. I really just discovered this was even a possible thing to do on your own a few days ago. I found that birch is lightweight compared to other woods while doing some research. My Nitro Magnum is heavy and wide. So when thinking about what I wanted from a board one of the big things is for it to be lighter weight. Birch seemed to fit that characteristic.
TheKingInYellow

chrismp wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:20 am You can get a medium flex out of any type of wood. The real question is, how thick should a core of a specific species with your desired outline dimensions and reinforcement layers be in order to achieve the desired stiffness. Try to search the forum for core thickness values others have used and try to estimate from that. Another great resource for estimating stiffness of a board is to use the calculator over at junksupply. Here is a link to a detailed desription on how to use it including the link and the license key for the calculation tool: http://www.junksupply.com/guide-to-the-simulator/
I'll take a look through to see what I can find. I suppose I would find things like that here in the Ski/Snowboard Design and Layup sub-forum?
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

The build threads are a good starting point. As you are new to this, make sure you read the entire wiki written by HappyMonkey here: http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... Main_Page . It is a great resource and gives you an idea on what's involved in building a snowboard.
TheKingInYellow

I've spent hours reading over it. Unfortunate some of the pages dont have any info on them, but just the names of them help give an idea of the processes I need to look further into.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Is there a reason you are looking to weaken the core substantially at the point of highest load?
I dont see those inserts staying put in that cork for very long.
Its a great looking image, difficult to achieve without a cnc and most of it looks more like wank factor to me.
Keep it simple at the beginning.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I think he wants to only place the cork as inlays a couple millimeters deep. He probably got the idea from Capita Snowboards...to be honest, I am not entirely convinced either that it really does improve on the ride.
TheKingInYellow

The idea was to have the cork there to increase flex on the ends. Something lightweight, and bendable. I have been thinking more and more about using bamboo instead. Simply because it's more durable, but still light. My current board is wide and stiff, and no longer suits the things I want to do with it, so that's why I put it in there. It's more of a carve board, but I want something to have fun in the park with now.
The inlay cork under the bindings is just to diffuse some of the smaller vibrations. I'm really interested in Burton Step-Ons. The main complaints I hear about them though are the clicking of the front clasps, and that they diffuse almost nothing. I'm only doing that if I can get my hands on some for cheap though.
I did get the idea from CAPiTA on the inlays and cork slots on the ends. I noticed how they'll have alternating hardwood, cork, or aluminum inlays or cutouts to increase their flex while maintaining durability.
I admit, its ambitious. Maybe too much so. I really dont want my first build to be subpar though. Especially because it IS my first build. I dont want to use that as an excuse to just say "good enough". The "go big or go home" and perfectionistic outlook combo I have towards things is definitely a fault at times. Still, its paid off a lot in the past for me.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Eatass
Last edited by MontuckyMadman on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

A lot of the bells and whistles you see in consumer skis and snowboards have been put there in order to achieve something that can often be achieved in a much simpler way, but they use it anyway because it's easier for marketing. Just keep that in mind when looking at websites of big brands.

You can easily build a softer board by only adjusting the core thickness and using different types of reinforcement (e.g. only using 0/90° biaxial fiberglass to get a torsionally soft board). Chances are, the flex of your first board will not be spot on what you wanted. If you keep the construction simple, it is much easier to find out which parameters to change in order to get closer to your desired flex.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

"How can your cup be filled if it is already full"
TheKingInYellow

MontuckyMadman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:29 pm Are u putting al channel in there as well?
Good luck. dded pita.
KISS on the first one.

I would rather have a channel than traditional hardware. I have no idea how its made though. If you know any videos that show how they're made please share. I've spent way too long searching for one with no luck. I put both on the design so I can have an idea of size and space needed when coming up with the base and topsheet designs. I dont intend to do both.
TheKingInYellow

MontuckyMadman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:29 pm Are u putting al channel in there as well?
Good luck. dded pita.
KISS on the first one.

I would rather have a channel than traditional hardware. I have no idea how its made though. If you know any videos that show how they're made please share. I've spent way too long searching for one with no luck. I put both on the design so I can have an idea of size and space needed when coming up with the base and topsheet designs. I dont intend to do both.