Methods to keep core/ base still during press.

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chrismp

Re: Methods to keep core/ base still during press.

Post by chrismp »

Looks like this should work. I would superglue the base pieces to the side of the edge in addition to the tape.
pmg

Post by pmg »

HI fred,

I have been using this method for the last 5 pairs of Skis I built and it works fine. I am on a vacuum press however, but that shouldnt change much. I screwed the spare base parts to my wooden mould, never have any base movement this way.

What to think about: as the tape is on the bottom of the ski, use tape as thin as possible! Otherwise they will have to grind away more base than needed in the shop.
When doing this with skis, its makes sense to have different positions for the tape on left/right side of the ski to not get an "indent" (dont know how to call it in english properly) across the whole base caused by the tape thickness.
fred

Post by fred »

Hi pmg,

That's good advice, thanks!
I'll probably go for something like Tesa 50600 masking tape, which is high-temperature, only 0.08mm in thickness and should have residue-free removal properties.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Sounds sensible. Different positions on left/right side will only be important in skis, not in boards.
fred

Post by fred »

yep, worked out fine. The masking tape left minimal dents in the base, but I'm sure they'll be gone after grinding. I was pressing at 3.5 bar/50 psi (one big hose, no cat track). Is that too much?

In general, it's probably good practice to bring all layers (base, topsheet, glass, core) to the same dimensions for easy layup. Just align all layers, staple and you're good to go.
base_2m.jpg
base_2m.jpg (223.82 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
pmg

Post by pmg »

Glad it worked. Have done it like this on the last 6 pairs of skis, never had an issue and found it always easy to handle.