New snowboard construction, some help?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

liljim

New snowboard construction, some help?

Post by liljim »

Hello to all,
I am an new member from Greece and had the idea to construct a snowboard.
I search through the internet via videos and readings about the construction and have some questions if you can help me.

First of all, i want to make a 152cm fishtail snowboard with camber under feet,rocker on the nose and a bit at tail.
I will make a diy press with the profile of the board etc.
My core will be poplar+beech wood,triaxial fiberglass,some X-shaped biaxial carbon strips,vds tape,sidewalls fillers etc.

Will be about 6 to 7 flex (1-10 scale) ?i want it a bit stiff. What should i watch out to make the board a bit stiff?
During construction, i have to make 2pcs mdf templates of the board? one template for the base layer and one for the core?Because i saw that the wood core should be 5mm approx. smaller to fit the sidewalls & fillers.
Can i use biaxial fiberglass instead of triaxial?what will be the pros/cons? Because i have a big roll of biaxial fiberglass(dont know the gr/m2 but seems thick, not thin)

Thank you very much!!! :D
mammuth

Re: New snowboard construction, some help?

Post by mammuth »

You can increase the core thickness or use more heavy fibres to make the core stiffer...

And you should take your time and read to all of the posts here. I did just lurk and read trough this forum for about half a year before i started to build my first board, this was a tremendous help. I think almost any question was asked and answered here many times ;)
Tom
liljim

Post by liljim »

thank you! This is what i will do. if i need any help i will come back again.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Make sure you also check out http://www.happymonkeysnowboards.com/Mo ... /Main_Page

Loads of info on there too in a more manageable form than the forum. But as mammuth already said, search the forum for any questions you may have as they have probably been answered before.