Extra Biax in Tip Area for increased torsional stiffness?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Extra Biax in Tip Area for increased torsional stiffness?

Post by pmg »

Hello Skibuilders,

I am starting to build some pairs for next winter. Mostly, they are very sportive on-piste skis (66mm underfoot, 72mm underfoot, 84mm underfoot).
I tested previous builds as well as serveral factory skis on my workbench. One thing I noticed:
When taking the foot area as "zero" (e.g. clamping the skis to the table with a screw clamp at the foot center), the front part can be twisted more with the same amount of torsional force (in comparison to the rear part).
This is logical, as the front section of the ski simply is longer than the rear section. However, from a skiing point of view a very torsionally rigid tip would make sense: When carving, the tip guides the rest of the ski. The less torsionally rigid a tip is, the less it will create the natural arc of the sidecut.

So, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to reinforce e.g. the first 50cm of the ski with additional biax (on top of the full-length biax)? Did any of you do this or are you aware some factory skis have this?

Thanks & best regards
Philipp
mammuth

Re: Extra Biax in Tip Area for increased torsional stiffness?

Post by mammuth »

You can use a different biax front and rear with overlap under the bindings. Will give you a smoother flex/torsion curve then changing somewhere in the flex zone
Tom
pmg

Post by pmg »

Yes, thats a different way to do this. But what I am wondering: Did some of you do this? If so, did you like the result?
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

War nicht eine der Ideen hinter Cap Skis mit 3D Top das du gerade solche Dinge kreativ beeinflussen kannst? Geht natürlich nur bei Vacuum pressen.
Tom