Ski Design Tool - snoCAD-X multi-platform release

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dbtahoe

Ski Design Tool - snoCAD-X multi-platform release

Post by dbtahoe »

No connection to Dan, I just appreciate his dedication.

snoCAD-X is the latest version of snoCAD - the third incarnation of our snowboard and ski design tool.

snoCAD-X features an interactive interface allowing you to drag parts of the board geometry around, includes a core shaping tool, and the ability to assemble your graphics on the board.

http://www.grafsnowboards.com/index.php?url=snoCAD-X
uni412

Post by uni412 »

When I click on the link to download it, nothing happens. I have a Mac.

Does anyone have any guesses to what the problem is?

Thanks,
Uni412
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

its a java script file, I had to right click and save target as to my pc. When it finishes downloading just hit open folder.
threeninethree

Post by threeninethree »

sorry, you then find where you saved the SnoCAD-x.jlpn file and open it provided you are up to date with your Java enviornment version. If not just go to JAVA and download the latest runtime enviornment.
dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

MAC currently only publicly supports up to JRE 1.5. This is why there is a specific MAC version. I think there is a little bit more functionality with 1.6 but I couldn't tell you what they are.

The file you download is really a install/startup file. You need to be connected to the internet to download the runtime files initially. After that the file is used to call the JAR files from your computer.

Java downloads:
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

A preview release of 1.6 for OS X can be found here:
https://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb ... leID=19650
burny

Post by burny »

it works great with my mac ... osx version 10.4.9

fantastic to finally have a mac working free prog to design skis easily ...

thanks a lot for this programm ...
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

Are you guys having success printing from snocad? I haven't messed with it for a year or so & at that time I couldn't print full scale from SnoCad.

Could a couple of you please post the work flow you use for prining?

Thanks!
uni412

Post by uni412 »

To print a fullsized base template from snowCAD-x I choose the export to split pdf template option from the file menu. I opened the pdf in adobe reader and printed it out fullsized. To print out the side profile of the ski I choose the export DXF option and printed the DXF out from a turboCAD program. You can also print the base template and core profile from the DXF.
madclimber03

snow-cad

Post by madclimber03 »

So i have no problems printing out the top view of the ski but i don't have turbo-cad or anyother cad programs to print out the profile/side view does anybody have any suggestions on how to print or does anyone know about any print shops that could print the DXF version for me.
Mikkelsen

printing from snowcad

Post by Mikkelsen »

-I'm having the same problem, no problem to print the top in PDF but unable to print the side-profile. Did you find a soloution?

-Mikkelsen
meremademe

Post by meremademe »

same here. I can print out every type of permutation of top view of the core and ski, but i can't get a pdf or any sort of file for a profile view of the core of camber.
does anyone have a solution?
dg

Post by dg »

Hi Folks

I'm working on an update to this, it lets you print all the different elements including a side profile and a core profile.

The current download has a problem in that the split templates are coming out wrong, but I've fixed it on my development version, just a small task to complete (rewriting the insert placing code) and then I'll upload it, it will be version 1.0.6b and should be ready for the non-MAC download by the end of this week.

(Geek bit follows) :

The problem I have with the Mac is that the Apple OS does not support the latest release of Java, which has some features snoCAD-X uses.

So the updates are being applied only to the non-MAC version.

It's bizarre that my 7 year old laptop running an old version of SUSE Linux can deal with a modern software environment and the latest spangly cool Mac can't :(

What I'll try and do is migrate the whole thing to Java 5 for Mac to bring that back into sync with the latest non-Mac release, that wil be as and when I get time though - it's a fairly big task.

Hope that makes sense !

Dan
Mikkelsen

Post by Mikkelsen »

Dan, I just wanted to say thanks for all of your work that you are putting into this and sharing with us. Thanks, and enjoy your holidays!
hamradio

Post by hamradio »

Works great with mac os 10.4.1. At first it didn't work, then I updated my java stuff, and it works great. Thanks for some cool software!
dg

Post by dg »

1.0.6b is online in the non-MAC version and the exports should all work fine.

dan