’07 Winter of Ski and Snowboard building

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Idris

Post by Idris »

Alex wrote:. One question regarding the reprofiling you did on them: did you reduce the thickness in the center - how much?

The thickest point on my cores is 11mm (The basics) and on Yoshis skis is 10.5mm

My core shape is a triangle, no flat bit for bindings.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks for the information Idris!

How would you rate the flex of those two pairs - compared to e.g. BD Verdict?
Idris

Post by Idris »

Both are pretty similar to BD verdict, my Basics (180ish) are just a hair stiffer. Logic dictates that the shorter skis, Yoshi's at 160cm should be stiffer but they have less glass.

Basics are 300gsm Unidirectional + 300gsm +-45 Biaxial (equivalent of 18oz triax) above and below the core. And in addition approx 800gsm 0,90 Biaxial (22oz ish) below the core and a clear topsheet

Yoshi's sks are the same just no aditional biax and no topsheet.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ok - perfect thanks!

I plan to keep the core profile as it is (maybe reducing the flat center to 11mm) and use the following layers:

408g/m2 Biax below and above the core.
250g/m2 Basalt UD below the core
220g/m2 Glass UD above the core

The ski will have the dimensions 129-100-114, 180cm long (pintail with long shovel and 27m radius)
Holymountain

Post by Holymountain »

Hello,

I'm in france too, in Lyon,
I've already made two ski using carbon fiber (only) and i've made the sidewall with carbon too, a steel sheet on the top of 60cm, there are strong, very strong but the finishing on the sidewall is not very well. I do them with a vaccum press,

Now I want to do it with plastic side wall, but I do not know where I can find it, I don't see if you use plastic side wall on yours...

Do you use side wall?
If yes, where do you find it?
Thanks

I have some picture of them at:
http://www.skipass.com/carnets/carnet.p ... 1&art=4272
(sorry for the american people it's all in french)
plywood

Post by plywood »

nice looking skis, holymountain!

sadly i can`t help you out with where to find plastic for sidewalls. maybe you should consider using wood sidewalls. would be very easy to do, just make the woodcore a little wider than the skis and that`s it. i`ve never had any problems with this way of doing it, even i was a little concerned at the beginning. but it works great and is way less complicated/work intensive.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Holymountain

Post by Holymountain »

Thank's,

you really don't have any probleme with water infiltration in wood core?
Do you put epoxy after cuting wood to size?

On my firt ski I had problem with water infiltration ( the srew bindings go out and water goes behin carbon and stell in the ski)
that's why I want to know more...

you say "even i was a little concerned at the beginning"
What's the problem?

Thank a lot for helping me...
plywood

Post by plywood »

i was concerned about exactly the same as you are: water and durability.

in my area there is a boatbuilder, they build some pretty good looking and damn expensive wooden boats - so i asked him what to do best. he told me that they are also using epoxy-paint to seal their boats.
i just took the normal epoxy and coated the sidewalls with it. never had a problem. if there are any big scratches in the sidewalls i just apply some new epoxy to it and that`s it.
for better protection you should angle the sidewalls with 20-30°: if you hit your skis together the edges won`t hurt the sidewalls that much by doing so...

but i definately think it does matter what kind of wood you`re using. some woods soak more, and others don`t. i used ash. i think some users on this forum don`t even seal the sidewalls with epoxy and it works fine for them...

i can ensure you, when i first heard of it i had really serious doubts regarding durability. i couldn`t believe that this should work.
but i tried it out on my first pair and i had no problems with it. i`ve tried a sidewall-construction on my second pair - and it was a pain to build and some hours of extra work. now i`m back on wooden sidewalls and i`m going to build my next pairs with wooden sidewalls.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
Idris

Post by Idris »

Nice skis holy mountain.

I used Teak for sidewalls on one pair. I then went to core becoming sidewall because its make things easier.

I do have some plastic sidewall at home. But I'm out of the country till December.