Paper graphics

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gladegp

Paper graphics

Post by gladegp »

Has anyone used paper as graphics? Namely wallpaper. I'm having trouble finding textiles with cool graphics but I've found a lot of wallpapers with really cool graphics.

Would this cause delam problems?

Thanks
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

I've used paper as graphics for most of my skis. Mostly in the form of logos on top of fabric though. I find that you need paper that will completely wet out with epoxy otherwise you'll have some delam issue when the paper starts to separate. I had this problem on my latest pair of skis when I tried to use thick poster type paper for a full length paper graphic.

Doesn't wallpaper have a glossy, smooth surface? There may be a bonding problem but a little test try would let you know.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

Has anyone done ink jet heat transfers ironed onto fabric?
gladegp

Post by gladegp »

littleKam wrote:
Doesn't wallpaper have a glossy, smooth surface? There may be a bonding problem but a little test try would let you know.
This might be an issue with wallpaper. They make them so that they can be washed. Meaning that they probably have some sort of coating. Like wax or plastic.
Maybe I'll have to try
dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

The main plastic used in dye sublimation is called FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic).
How about iron transfer directly onto the fiberglass. It would be a little grunge but it might apply itself for certain designs.
M.F

Post by M.F »

The wallpaper idea is very good, but how about slightly sand it on the top so the epoxy will stick to it? so slighlty so you wont get any big scracth on the paper...
will this ruin the wallpaper totally or?

think i will try this soon
Martin
setto

Post by setto »

what about the wallpaper idea? Has anybody tried this?