what Alu thickness do u use?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

beansnow

what Alu thickness do u use?

Post by beansnow »

Hey we're about to get new aluminum for our cassette to go in the press. We've used 1/8" in the past and wondered if anyone here has used 1/16th with no problem. If so what pressure were u at? We press at 70psi and just want to make sure there wont be any lines from the cat track.

Thanks!
billl

Post by billl »

funny you ask this question... We have just pressed our first ski using 1/16th aluminum on the bottom... and the sheet clearly took the shape of the molds' ribs below. We have the bottom mold (1' spaced ribs), then one layer of masonite, then the heat blankets, then the 1/16th alum sheet, then the ski, we pressed at 45 psi, and our base ended up all concave from taking the shape of the middle (empty) rib.

So I was going to ask if 1/8th is thick enough to avoid these kinds of issues... And still not so thick that you can't bend it at the tip/tail.

Thanks
billl

Post by billl »

oooops sorry Bean, I just realized that what I wrote is incorrect... We actually used .04" thick alum, not 1/16".

So, (for us at least), .04" was too thin... Can't comment about 1/16 quite yet :)
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

Bill,

How thick is the masonite that you are using?
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

I use two layers of masonite of about 4mm thick with a 0.8mm aluminium plate on it. Both for the bottom and top mold. The ribs in the mold have about 20 mm of space in between them. I press around 5 bar (70 psi) but without heat. Works great, however the aluminium is very sensitive too scratches etc. Maybe I will use coated steel next time.

Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple