SkiBuilders' Convention: Whistler, BC, Feb. 16/17, 2008

Yak away here, please! This category is for random discussions, comments, and anything but the topics shown above.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

SkiBuilders' Convention: Whistler, BC, Feb. 16/17, 2008

Post by bigKam »

Kelvin, Little Kam and I have been talking about getting together in mid-February of 2008 at Whistler to ski and was wondering if builders in this community would be interested in meeting. We're trying to start the process of putting together yearly gatherings, like a small convention where we all meet, show off our skis, test skis, hang out and have a good time. For now it will be somewhat informal, but we would be happy organize what we can and donate softgoods like t-shirts, stickers, etc. It'll be a weekend event, of course. The goal of course is to promote our cause and share ideas.

We'll put together the dates for the 2008 event. At the very least, the three of us will be hanging out at Whistler and we would love for anyone to join.

Please chime in if you are interested in such a gathering, either for this coming year if you can make it or in the future. It would be nice to hold these gatherings at different places every year, so please feel free to make recommendations.
Last edited by bigKam on Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Let me be the first to say that this is a wonderful idea! I would love to attend. Pending the scheduling and all.
Is there is anyone interested in meeting tin the Tahoe area this season?
rockaukum
plywood

Post by plywood »

you`re bringing the whole thing onto the next level! sadly whistler is a bit far away for me ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

this is great -- i'm glad we have some interest. any others?

the vision is to someday meet at least once a year, share ideas, show off work, and maybe even hold events like ski races, etc., where competitors must use their home-builts. can you imagine riding in an extreme-ski/snowboard comp on a pair of home-builts? not only is it skill, but one would have to ensure their ride doesn't disintegrate.... :) fun, fun!

i was at a bike race once where they had a competition to see who could build a bike from parts in the shortest amount of time -- including lacing the wheels -- and then ride the so-called bike a distance of 1/4 mile to the finish line. it was impressive to watch. i can see an event where builders race to build a ride in the quickest amount of time and then have to ride it down the hill...

anyway, let me know who is interested. even if you can't make it, chiming in and expressing interest will help us plan for the future. like i said, we'll do whatever we can to contribute to organize and the promote the event(s).
brodo

Post by brodo »

Any thoughts on when in February this should take place? Not impossible that this could be a happening that would give me the possibility to get tax deduction for the trip to Canada, therefore be a good alternative to my planed skiing in Switzerland.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

too far for me this year. Its a good idea though - keep it going!
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Wheezer

Post by Wheezer »

I might be able to participate. The wife already said "sure".

Also, my wife and daughters (on the skis I am making them for Christmas) are planning on meeting Cal (*Armada*) during his U of Utah spring break for some skiing the weekend of March 22nd, 2008. Any and all are welcome to join us. It was great to meet Little Kam and Powdercow last year.
hafte

Post by hafte »

This sounds like fun. I wouldn't have enough leave to do it this year, but would like to participate in the future. Tahoe would be awesome. I lived in Reno for a few years and my dad patrolled at Mt. Rose. I would LOVE to go ski there and at all of the other resorts again.

Great idea guys. Keep it going

Hafte
Idris

Post by Idris »

plywood wrote:you`re bringing the whole thing onto the next level! sadly whistler is a bit far away for me ;)
Too far for me also, now I'm back in Europe. Fancy doing something similar on this side of the pond?

Just avoiding holiday times.
MartinJern

Post by MartinJern »

Im up for a euro get-together! i´ll be in the alps from christmas and on.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

Just an idea but how about some smaller regional get togethers, and once or twice a year a biggie that rotates around the globe. Ski Tahoe one year and NZ the next.
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Head Monkey

Post by Head Monkey »

Turns out I already have a Whistler trip planned for late February: 2/24/08 thru 3/1/08. If it happens that you organize this during that time frame, then cool. If not, I’ll catch you guys next year.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

We're thinking about Presidents' weekend, Feb. 16-18.

I'll make a flier for the event soon...
davide

Post by davide »

plywood wrote:you`re bringing the whole thing onto the next level! sadly whistler is a bit far away for me ;)
You should organise the European one, in Hoch-Ybrig.
Anyway both places are too far for me.
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

davide wrote:You should organise the European one, in Hoch-Ybrig.
where is that ? We'd be glad to join :D