Hey!!! some carbo advices needed.

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

chaka

Hey!!! some carbo advices needed.

Post by chaka »

Hey, the next days i´m planning to press two new pairs using some carbon.
I have only used fiberglass until this moment.... but i have 2 square meters of 250 g/m2 of biaxial carbon fabric and 8 meters of unidirectional carbon tape.
I would need some advices abour where to place carbon (i, m planning to use it combined wit glass, what do you think?).
Oh...my two new pairs are goig to be a park ski (some extra pop needed in the tail) and a giant slalom/race carverlike (torsinal stiffnes needed).

Than you guys.
RIDE WITH PRIDE
King_of_the_Hill

Post by King_of_the_Hill »

It's important to remember that thet tape will give you longitudianl stiffnes and bi-ax will give torsion stiffness, by combining a layer of tape and biax you probably wont need any glas (carbon= 3 times stiffer!)
Assumption is the base of all f*ck ups
davide

Post by davide »

In the park skis, you can use biax glass (300 or 400 g/m2 over the whole length): they will be easier to turn. UD glass is stronger in compression than UD carbon, so you should use carbon UD tape only between base and core in the park pair.
In the giant pair, you could put only one layer (either upper or lower) of biax at tip and tail, so it will be easy to put them in turn, but they will be stil very torsional stiff in the central part of the ski.