Odering materials

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

melvs

Odering materials

Post by melvs »

Alrighty, so I'm getting close to ordering the materials. I can get the epoxy easily (friends at a marina), the wood I can get as well.

SO I'm left with the folowing:
1. What kind of base material should I order from durasurf?
2. Where do I get edges (I'm assuming you still have some you could sell me)
3. topsheet material?
4. fiberglass, should it be ordered on line or should I try to locate some locally?
5. should I order enough for just a few pairs, or would it save me a lot of money to buy enough for more then a few pairs?

also, how much does shipping typically cost for this?
-Pat
melvs

Post by melvs »

I'm guessing for base material I'm going to use either 2001 spectrum, or 4001 spectrum. is there much of a difference in price and performance in them?
-Pat
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

most of that is at snowboardmaterials, just go there
J I B T H E S H I T
melvs

Post by melvs »

i've heard many bad things about them, so I'd perfer to stay away if possible.
-Pat
endre

Post by endre »

? what bad things?
*ARMADA*

Post by *ARMADA* »

my order came through fine
J I B T H E S H I T
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

^how long did your stuff take to ship (ground)?
hose-man

Post by hose-man »

So far I have used vendors listed on the links page that the Kams have provided. What a great resource!

I just received my Durasurf base material. They require a minimum order of 50 ft and sold me the color of my choice from thier remnant stock at the same price as black. Total was $70.46 including shipping. I chose ORANGE !.

I spoke to Linsey (male) at Snowboard Materials on Aug 12 & he was still waiting for an import shippment of 84" edge metal. He expected it soon, so it may be in stock now. I will be ordering some when they're in stock. I will also be purchasing a short snowboard base from him to build my son some skis with.

I sent some money to CMAX for binding inserts, but have not yet received the inserts. (only been a week, not worried yet) They don't process credit cards so I had to send a check. 150 inserts with the magnetic caps, plus some insert detection powder for just less than $50 including shipping.

I have not yet sourced the fiberglass. I need a little help there. The Kams list theirs as triaxial braided, yet i'm having trouble locating an actual braided product. A lot of what I find is just strand orriented mat with stiching. I have yet to talk to Revchem. If they have a glass product that sounds right, I will probably order glass and epoxy from the. WestSystems sounded like good stuff when I talked to them, but for ease of ordering, I will probably just go RevChem for both.

ABS sidewalls & topsheet will be purchased from plastic distributors locally.

Wood purchased locally.

Dampening Rubber is still a big mystery to me. I haven't spent much time looking but my first try at sourcing it through Macmasters was very unsuccessful. Nothing came up in dimentions thin enough for our purposes.

-Jed
melvs

Post by melvs »

that's how it seems to me. I've talked to the Durasurf guys and will be ordering some from them. The topsheet and sidewall i may order from them as well, as it's not to expensive. wood and epoxy will be bought locally.

fiberglass, rubber strips, and edges are still a mystery.

I have time though, I still have to finish up the hose and molds.
-Pat
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

hose-man,

if you plan on ordering from Revchem here is the part numbers for the stuff I ordered:

#26CDB200 (last 2 digits are zero, zero) = Triaxial fiberglass. They require that you buy a minimum of 150lb of this stuff which should be about $465. It's a huge expense if you only plan on making a few skis. Or perhaps you can split the cost with someone else.

#80LM-2A = epoxy resin. $50. I've been using this stuff since the beginning and it works fine. I've recently switched over to QCM, however, because the prices are much cheaper and the company has dealt with Hammer, Ride, and other snowboard companies directly so I know the stuff works. Plus they're super friendly and really helpful with figuring out what you need.

#80LM-2B = epoxy hardener. $15.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)

Post by Guest »

hose-man wrote:
I just received my Durasurf base material. They require a minimum order of 50 ft and sold me the color of my choice from thier remnant stock at the same price as black. Total was $70.46 including shipping. I chose ORANGE !.
Hey Hose-man

When you say they require a minimum order of 50ft is that 50 square feet? Or do you mean 50ft linear feet by some standard width. Just trying to find out if they would be cheaper than snowboardmaterials. Thanks!