Layup Recipe for Veneer Topsheet?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

hadley

Layup Recipe for Veneer Topsheet?

Post by hadley »

Door Manufactures end up with amazinge strips of veneer left as waste. I have some beautiful Cherry and VG Doug Fir. I was thinking of using a top sheet. In an effort to keep the reinforcement ballanced between the top and the bottom of the core what would a reasonablae recipe be.

Top Sheet
Veneer
Biaxial
Core
Triaxial
Base

Could the veneer work as the zero portion of the triaxial? Or should I put some Unidirectional in with the mix. I want to use these skis for back coulntry so a final consideration is weight. I can't afford excess weight.
Thanks in advance....
plywood

Re: Layup Recipe for Veneer Topsheet?

Post by plywood »

hard to say if you use enough composites as it depends on how thick the core is...

for the veneer: to get a lighter ski, don`t use a topsheet! ;) why would you need one anyway?! the protection of the wood is not that better with a topsheet and you have to be careful to not get any bubbles beneath it. so just take the veneer, maybe after the ski comes out of the press you sand the wood nicely flat and even and then just varnish it. this will definately look cooler than with a topsheet and it should be quite durable too...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
hadley

Necessity as the mother of invention.

Post by hadley »

I just profiled my first ski using my newly built router profiler. It worked beautifully. I am going for mid phat 180 ski. The platform is at 12mm. The tip is 2mm :oops: and the tail is 3mm. My veneer is unsanded doug fir weighing in at 1 mm thick. I like the idea of a wood topsheet on this first pair. Ideas... Thankx
plywood

Re: Necessity as the mother of invention.

Post by plywood »

this should be just fine, no worries. maybe you can put in some extra glas just for the tip and tail (maybe for the outmost 20cm or so).

if i`d do a wooden topsheet, which i`ll probabely do soon ;) , i`d go for wood only. as i said, if you try to cover the veneer with a clear topsheet you`ll get bubbles nearly for sure. and you get the weight of the veneer plus weight of plastic topsheet. furthermore i`ve got the feeling that plastic topsheets chip easily. normally it`s just the topsheet that gets chips...so maybe it`s better with wood.
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
jono

Post by jono »

On the skis I've made I used a maple veneer top sheet. The maple veneer is 1/42nd of an inch thick and it bonds really well with epoxy. The result is a very light ski with a beautiful top sheet.

I seal the top with several coats of spar varnish but I'm going to try using a water based floor sealant on my next pair.

The only issues I've encountered using veneer top sheets are: 1.The epoxy sort of soaks through or migrates to the top of the veneer. This creates a blotchy look. This was solved by sanding and after sealing was not visible.
2. During skiing the edges of my skis shaved off a bit of the veneer on the edges of the topsheets. This is lessened by having beveled sidewalls. After a few days of skiing the shavings stopped.

good luck!!
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

The veneer is so thin that it probably won't add much structural strength. I would use triax on top and bottom.

Also skip the topsheet. I put topsheet on some wood veneer skis and it doesn't look as good and adds weight. The topsheet is not super clear and creates a muddy look.

I squeegee some epoxy on the top of the veneer during layup and press with a layer of UHMW on top. The epoxy protects the wood and it makes a perfectly smooth top and is not splotchy (had that problem before putting epoxy on top). You can also put paper designs/ cutouts and it protected by the layer of epoxy.

-kelvin
MartinJern

Post by MartinJern »

I made my latest snowboard with a wood veneer as a topsheet and im pretty sure it added stiffnes... it came out super stiff!! havent tried it yet but my feeling is it will be almost inpossible to turn....
the veneer was 1.3mm thick so next time i'll try to get hold of thinner veneer and make the core thinner

for sealing the wood i first painted a layer of eoxy then 3 layers of pu-varnish, looks great and feels durable.
chaos

Post by chaos »

kelvin,

where did you get your sheet of un-bonded UHMW from? I tried wax paper and 2 layers of cardboard between the veneer top sheet and the cat track, but it did not turn out as smooth as I hoped.

Also, has anyone tried those aliminum bubble rollers for applying epoxy or PU.
o2bjedi

Post by o2bjedi »

So would it be best to stain the veneer and allow required drying time then laminate w/resin on top? Then probably poly sealant on top of the resin?