finding binding inserts

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Boomer3

finding binding inserts

Post by Boomer3 »

Does anyone have good methods of locating binding inserts after layup in skis that have an opaque topsheet OTHER THAN the magnetic cap and iron filing method?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Just a guess.... I would look to the bottom of the ski and see fi there is a inprint.
Are they steel? try a magnet...
Based on the original setup, re locate them as you originally located / positioned them. Try sonding them, tap on the ski and listen for a change in the sound. Just as you can locate the nails in sheetrock (slide your finger acorss the wall and listen for a change in the sound and you have the nail / stud location). I use ones with the magnetic caps so I have not tried these methods but they may work. Let us know.
ra
G-man

Post by G-man »

I made a little insert holding gizmo that chucks up in my drill and allows me to run an insert against a belt sander (after temporarily removing the magnetic cap) so I can custom grind an insert to any desired length. If I grind the insert about one mm shorter than what would normally be flush with the top core surface, I end up with a nice and precise little indent in the ski surface after pressing.

G-man
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

you can rub chalk lightly over the topsheet and it will reveal any high spots on your topsheet. however ive only done this on boards that had protective film over the topsheet.

simple "driveway chalk" is what we used, use the side and drag it over lightly, dont rub it in you'll just chalk everything.

though sometimes your board comes out really good and even this is difficult.

a stud finder can get you in the general AREA of the insert.

a clone of your core can be used and placed over the topsheet as well

what are your inserts made of? steel? stainless? i think if they're simple carbon steel, correct me if i'm wrong, you may be able to find a magnet and file it down and use the dust to locate your inserts. but i dont think stainless will attract to magnets.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Some grades of stainless steel do exhibit magnetic qualities (look up 'stainless steel' on wikipedia). The first batch of inserts that I got from CAMAX a couple of years ago are highly magnetic. The second batch that I got about a year ago are not magnetic because CAMAX switched to a different grade of stainless for improved corrosion resistance. If you have a magnetic grade of insert, you could try to placing a magnet on the base of the ski at the general location of an insert. The magnetic field should propagate through the insert to the top sheet where you could use iron powder to locate the insert for drilling.

G-man
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

you can also tape a piece of thin white paper over where you think the inserts are. Then rub a piece of pencil lead over the paper. It should show up pretty clear where your inserts are. you can then mark them with an automatic center punch, and drill away.