Tip relaxation

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

oasisvader

Tip relaxation

Post by oasisvader »

I've been looking around on the forums for a while, and I've found that a ski looses about half its camber when it comes out of the press. Correct me if I'm wrong. If this is true for the camber, is it also true for the tips and tails? Please excuse my ignorance on the matter, I (obviously) haven't make a pair of skis yet, I'm just trying to find as much information as possible before getting all the way into this.
uni412

Post by uni412 »

I'm no expert but it seemed to me that although my skis lost some camber, the tips did not relax noticibly. If they did, I don't think it really would have effected the ski anyway.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I'd second that. I do use tip spacers and do not run the wood all the way up. Might be the reason for not relaxing?
rockaukum
Greg

Post by Greg »

I have found that you don't get any tip relaxation if you use fiberglass tip spacers. But this is just because the fiberglass lays up in the mold and takes the form of the mold without any pressing.
krp8128

Post by krp8128 »

rockaukum wrote:I'd second that. I do use tip spacers and do not run the wood all the way up. Might be the reason for not relaxing?
rockaukum
Interesting, my theory was that a full plastic tip spacer might be causing the relaxation. I haven;t really put a lot of thought into the nature of the internal stresses yet though.
My core extends almost all the way to the ends of the ski, and then there is about 1/2" of plastic tip spacer. No relaxation yet.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Let me add one thing to my earlier statement. The tip spacer material is stored in a roll and has assumed a natural bend that has pretty much the same curve as the tip or tail curve. So at press time it has the bend already in it.
ra
oasisvader

Post by oasisvader »

Alright, thanks alot! Tons of help!
uni412

Post by uni412 »

I didn't even use tip spacers and the wood didn't relax significantly. Although I had prebent the tips somewhat using boiling water.