Any ideas if this aluminum beam will work for a frame?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

esscher

Any ideas if this aluminum beam will work for a frame?

Post by esscher »

I have some of this aluminum i-beam (or at least sort of resembles an i-beam), in my scrap. It is fairly heavy gauge (14 or 15 gauge I believe), and the scrap yard I bought it from said its high-strength aluminum. I have thought about using it as the lengthwise supportive beam. I have enough for 4 on top and bottom.

Any thoughts?

Esscher

Chubz

Post by Chubz »

It should be enough depending on how wide you you make it. You also need to consider the length your press will be.What PSI are you going put the bladder at.
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

hey

they possibly work but you must make a cage for the press
French-E

Post by French-E »

Yo,

I used 2 x 6 and 2 x 4 (pine) for mine,

the only thing is that I put brasses on the sides instead of at both ends...
Only problem is that it is a bit harder to load by the extremity (really not hard thought, and for the price I paid, I am a really happy man)

On the other hand you go math crazy (not this much, it's no hard) and you get:
-the working surface (area) of your pneumatic tubes (the width of your fire hoses that touches the mold/tubes/press/whatever x the length of your fire hoses that touches the mold/tubes/press/whatever)
-the working pressure (multiply it by, say, 1.2 for security)
-the working length of your press

then ...

Area (working surface in square inches) x PSI = force (lbs)

and then...

you divide the force by your working length (you get force (lbs) / length (inches), take your beam, put it on 2 blocks (space in betwwen = working length) and load it until you get to that force/length you just calculated.

If it holds then it means it works,

I am not responsible for any death or damage, but I think it is the best way to test your beams. It will save you lots of time and perhaps flesh if they not strong enough.

A'ight,

French E
esscher

Post by esscher »

chubz: the width is going to be 20", because I have two 6" hoses that lay ~10" when flat. its a little wider than i really need, but i can't exactly return the hoses now! the length is going to be about 7.5', and the bladder is rated at 100 psi, but will press at 50 psi.

hugocacola: when you say cage, you mean 4 or 5 supportive cross members that keep the i-beams from bending/deflecting?

french-e: that helps a lot.. i coudn't quite figure out where you were going with your math at first, but I get it now!

esscher