router cutter for sidewalls

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

alexisg1

router cutter for sidewalls

Post by alexisg1 »

Hi everyone,

I don't know if the title of the thread is explicit or not, but I'd like to put a bevel to my sidewalls. I just cant' find the right cutter for my router !

I am looking for the same one as on the "howto guide" of the skibuidlers site :

does anyone know where I can find one on the internet ?
In europe if possible ;)
Idris

Post by Idris »

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1000

Must be available this side of the pond because they are made in Italy!
hugocacola

Post by hugocacola »

hey go to ths site

linbide.com
they can send it to you for a low price :)
alexisg1

Post by alexisg1 »

Thx a lot !
Jclaude

Post by Jclaude »

Alexisg1
Bonjour!
Have you tried HMDiffusion, they have a lot of router bits, and more they are located in Bourgoin Jalieu (who badly defeat Toulouse last week end- I'm in Toulouse !), very close to you.
Other wyse Outillage200 has also a large choice.

Bien amicalement
Jean Claude
heybulldog

Post by heybulldog »

A web site called leevalley.com is a huge woodworking mailorder and internet place for a realy diverse range of woodworking tools. they will have that profile made by freud. or hitachi. I'll bet tat if you call home depot they can order it for you also. Probably about 50 to 75 bucks.
If at first you don't succeed, try try again.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

linbide tools will ship it to you and the total is under 50bucks i believe.

i have one and it works well. though the bearing has a very slight round to the edge of it and makes height adjustment kind of sketchy, you get to a point where the snowboard/ski edge is VERY close to the slip point where the router will get real hungry and eat your board ;).

try to get yourself some really thin washers because you need a spacer between the bearing and the cutter.

or you can do some experimenting and make yourself a fence. ive done this too with left over junk edge segments, just grind the teeth off and bend it into a curve, and you can sit the cutter almost on top of it.

there's threads about this router bit on graf snowboards forum www.grafsnowboards.com

you can get 22 and 45degree cutters.
Doug
mattman

Post by mattman »

you can actually get out of this for about $15...i figured this out a while back and then ended up deciding not to do sidewalls. anyway, you can get a 14 degree dovetail bit off grizzly with a really large cutter base and a 1/4" shank. this means that you have a sizeable ledge between the end of the cutter and the shank. the ledge is large enough to fit an R168Z bearing (1/4 ID, 3/8 OD), which costs about $5 off ebay. so now just make or buy a 1/4 ID collar to clamp the bearing onto the shank and you are in business...it theoretically makes a really nice shape...even has the little inset relief for edge beveling. i could tell you the exact dovetail size if i were at my home computer...if anyone is interested i can look it up later...remember, ebay is your friend for bearings and collars!
mattman

Post by mattman »

just found it...its the C1071, it has a 3/4" base and the best part: $8 + $5 for the bearing (ebay) + $1 for the collar (ebay).

guess i overestimated, its $14! (plus shipping)
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

that notch in the shaft just below the blade, makes for a nice space between the cutter and the bearing. ive tried this with dovetails that look nearly identical and without being able to get that bearing butted right up to the blade you're gonna have a nice flat spot before the chamfer.

plus 14 degrees does work but its a really mellow chamfer. might be good for skis though as they run so much thicker.
Doug
macdadmorgan

Post by macdadmorgan »

How are everyone's bits holding up to uhmw? Are you lubbing them up with some boeing shield, or similar?
If I can I usually try to buy the best bits I can, and those are definitely Whiteside, I havent researched part numbers, but i am sure they make some that are perfect for sidewall apps. Once I find one, and use it, I will post about it.
sammer

Post by sammer »

router bits direct
http://www.routerbitsdirect.ca/
huge selection, good prices
works for me.
sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
westbygodvirginia

no luck finding bit

Post by westbygodvirginia »

has anyone found that bit?

i wrote Linbide and it's not theirs. a couple other places are quoting me $150+ as a special order build. anyone know any place else to look? or is there such a thing as a 45-degree dovetail and i could modify w/ a bearing? any insight will be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
pk
hafte

Post by hafte »

I have made a guide fence and use a four flute end mill that seems to do a nice job. The setup is similar to one I believe I saw on this site. I use a wood guide bock instead of a bearing for the edges to follow. I think I have a couple of pictures that I can post. when I get home if folk are interested.

The bit is ~$21.00 and the fence is made from a scraps around the shop. Even has a vacuum port to help clear the dust. It is also ajustable to a wide variety of angles.

Hafte
westbygodvirginia

pictures please

Post by westbygodvirginia »

pictures would be great. thanks.
pk