what kind of fiberglass fabric?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

zachjowi

what kind of fiberglass fabric?

Post by zachjowi »

I am placing a order to get fabric and epoxy from raka and I was wondering if the 6oz 50" wide plain weave would work for skis. I am also wondering if the 127 resin with 350 hardner will work.
http://www.raka.com/FiberglassCloth.htmlthanks
vinman

Post by vinman »

most peeps are using 22oz triaxial glass.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

Vinman wrote:most peeps are using 22oz triaxial glass.
would the stuff I mentioned work?
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

research the differences between 6oz glasss and 22 oz glass, and you will have your answer.
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

doughboyshredder wrote:research the differences between 6oz glasss and 22 oz glass, and you will have your answer.
I've neveractually worked with fiberglass or know about its properties that are good, etc.

what is it that I am looking for and where do I look for this? I am just guessing that the 22oz will be thicker and stiffer but I am not positive.
doughboyshredder

Post by doughboyshredder »

google is always a great place to start, and there is a wealth of information on this site, if you read through some of the better threads.

I don't know much about glass, but I do know that 6oz glass is very light and would not provide much strength at all, unless of course you were using multiple layers of 6 oz glass on the top and bottom of the ski. 22 oz glass is a lot stronger and is what most ski builders are using. Snowboard builders are more in the 17 -19oz range. Of course you can use combinations of lighter glasses and other materials, such as carbon fiber, kevlar, hemp, etc...
jono

Post by jono »

Zachjowi,
The cloth you mentioned is woven and is very light. Woven cloth is not as strong as biaxial or triaxial cloth. Woven fiberglass has the fibers weaving over and under the other fibers (they are never straight) axial fiberglass types are made up of layers of straight fibers running in various directions. This type of fiberglass is much stronger since the fibers are always oriented in the direction that you want them to be working in.
Raka does have biaxial fiberglass with the fibers running 45 and -45 degrees This gives good torsional stiffness but you would need to combine this with fiberglass with fibers running at 0 degrees (aka the warp direction) or just buy non woven triaxial fiberglass (with fibers running 0,45, and -45).
I've ordered tri-axial 22oz from raka and it has worked fine. It is also cheaper than what you can find elsewhere. Raka also has 22oz triaxial 12 inch wide "tape" for 3.90$/yard that would be ideal for making skis or snowboards. This is way cheaper than similar options found in other stores.
I've used 18oz woven triaxial fiberglass that I scored on ebay for cheap and this has worked well in my skis especially on skis I made for light weight women.
To answer your original question, the fabric you chose would work if you used many layers and you did not want very much torsional stiffness. Get triaxial (non woven no mat fibers running 45,-45and0) 22 oz and you'll get good results. When you are familiar with triaxials then try using combinations of lighter layers of fiberglass to achieve specific flex patterns.
Good luck!!
Last edited by jono on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G-man

Post by G-man »

jono wrote:
Get triaxial (non woven no mat fibers running 45,-45and90) 22 oz and you'll get good results.
I'm sure this was just a typo, but I thought I'd point out that jono probably meant to say +45/-45/0 (0 rather than 90). Didn't want to confuse zachowi.

G-man
jono

Post by jono »

G-man wrote:jono wrote:
Get triaxial (non woven no mat fibers running 45,-45and90) 22 oz and you'll get good results.
I'm sure this was just a typo, but I thought I'd point out that jono probably meant to say +45/-45/0 (0 rather than 90). Didn't want to confuse zachowi.

G-man
Thanks G-Man, I went back and fixed it.
Chubz

Post by Chubz »

Someone mentioned to me the use of a "mask" layer of fiberglass (not roving) for certain lamination bonding and separation. I plan to use 3-4 layers in my full build for the above purpose, not for structural purposes.

What is the techincal name and weight of said "mask" fiberglass.

Thanks
jono

Post by jono »

I think he meant using a lightweight layer of any kind of fiberglass to assist the bonding of titanal to wood and/or other materials. If a regular ski had a total of 44 oz/yard of fiberglass, with titanal you might lower that number, then your masking layer contribute to the total number of ounces/yard that you need for your ski. I remember seeing a cutaway of what the k2 axis pro had in it and there were more than four layers of fiberglass. Most of which were masking the titanal and the rubber in that particular ski. Those skis weigh a ton but they are stiff and damp.
As to the total ounces to square yard ratio in a titanal ski you need to experiment to find something that works. Your other posts indicated that you are planning to use a thinner core because of the titanal. If this is the case then you might want to keep your fiberglass near the regular amount of 44 oz/yard. I have been using 9 oz biaxial (-45,45) with good results. A couple layers of this 9 oz along with a couple layers of around 9 oz biaxial (0, 90) and you're good to go as far as masking your titanal is concerned.
my experience has tended towards using less fiberglass and slightly more core.
I'm anxious to hear how the titanal works for you. I love skiing my volkl explosivs and hearing how they "sing" when they hit each other on the chairlift.
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

The 'mask' mentioned to improve bonding is called fiberglass veil. It is very thin.

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts- ... es-13.html

-kelvin
jono

Post by jono »

kelvin wrote:The 'mask' mentioned to improve bonding is called fiberglass veil. It is very thin.

http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts- ... es-13.html

-kelvin
Does this mean that a ski could be ridable if it only used the "mask" type of fiberglass, titanal, wood core and base/edge? Does the mask need to be used in addition to other thicker layers of fiberglass? Or can the thicker layers act as a mask? Properly used can titanal completely replace the triaxial fiberglass used in skis?
sammer

Post by sammer »

oops :oops:
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)