skibuilders press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

spennycraig

skibuilders press

Post by spennycraig »

i was wondering how many skis can you press with the press design you advise in your how to???

im just curious if it would be better to do that or just buck up and pay for some i beams
MaRuMo

Post by MaRuMo »

Hello spennycraig,

In the simple vacuum bag press we made two pairs of skis using the same bag. We had pretty strong plastic this time. Last season we made 3 pairs out of one bag but increasing tape patches, and kept spending a lot of time trying to find the leaks. It is probably best to use/make a fresh bag each time unless obviously the bag is well intact.

With the hole set up, although I may be wrong, you can press as many skis as the motors can handle running for the length of time it takes (usually we leave it running overnight so safer to say at least 12 hrs, then leave it in the bag for a while longer). This is pressing in room temperature. Not regulated all that well either. It's warm nor cold.

If you use other pressing methods, heat blankets and resins the turn over of skis can or is be greater.

The type of press you use can depend on how much work space, time, money and patience you have. I'm guessing you are more interested in knowing which type of presses are more durable than the number of skis you can produce within a certain time frame?

I beams sounds like hard work to set up, and take up space. But there are many informative posts out there to get an idea.

All the best,
MaRuMo