new nember

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

thermikboards

new nember

Post by thermikboards »

hi mens 8)

i'm a new member , i'm french , i shape since 1995 in first funboards and kiteboards since 2000 i shaped 2 pairs of skis and 1 snowboard .

for my fist post i can't give you some photo or links , i will do that tomorrow .

www.thermikboards.com
thermikboards

Post by thermikboards »

hi mens ,

you can see my kiteboards at my web site : www.thermikboards.com

for my skis look at this :

my skis are pressed in vacuum mold the core is in mapple and hash , Airex for the tips and titanal under the foot .
the graphic was printed on a polyester texture.
the mensuration of the skis :
the left pair big powder
195 cm
130-110-125

the right pair Back country
double tips
188 cm
124-94-118

for the snowboard it wasn't a good project , i tryed to do a twintype just for to do snowkiting .

excuse me for my POOR english speaking :oops:

hubert
plywood

Post by plywood »

hi hubert!
well, your skis look pretty professional!

but now that i have checked out your kiteboards...those are super sweet! as you seem to be a foamcore-expert i`ve got some questions:
as far as i understood you`re using only airex foam for the cores on the kiteboards, right? or did you enforce the cores by some wood or something like this?
you`ve got some 3-dimensional cores: how do you shape these? by cnc?
and what do you think about using foam for skis? you did use airex for the tips only... what about combining wood and foam over the whole lenght of the ski?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
thermikboards

Post by thermikboards »

thank's ,

for my kiteboards , i use , sometimes , Airex , sometimes , wood ,and sometimes i put 3 parts of hash in the Airex, . Its for kiter who to do freestyle .

the 3 dimensional is done with an heavy plough .

I'm using Airex foam , just for the tips in my skis in 2 or 3 mm of thickness and it's very good , no problem of delaminate .

for to put foam over the whole , i d'on't know , put i know someone who did a pair in all Airex , he done just 2 turns in the powder , and ths skis broke in lot of parts :D :D
After if you combine , 3 parts of hash and 2 parts of Airex , why not ?

i hope you understand me :D
plywood

Post by plywood »

as long as you write english i understand you perfectly - in any case better than if you would speak french because i`m pretty weak in french hehe ;) so don`t worry

just after my last post i found a picture in your gallery that showed an airex-wood-core for kiteboards. i think maybe something like that could work for a ski too.

have you ever worked with honeycomb material? just for a comparison honeycomb to foam...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
thermikboards

Post by thermikboards »

for the honey comb , i'm going to do one with foam and honey just in "renfort" under the feets .
i'll put some photos on my website in 1 or 2 weeks .

plywood tu es d'ou en suisse ?

perso je vais souvent skier sur Zinal et grimentz ;)