use of steel cables for ski press?

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

o2bjedi

use of steel cables for ski press?

Post by o2bjedi »

I came up with the idea of using steel cables wrapped around a press instead of using steel clamps.
I currently use 2X2 steel bars with bolts connecting the top and bottom on my press. the preoblem is that they are so troublesome to rig-up during lamination. I don't have the time/money to weld a proper heavy duty press frame.
Has anybody tried this before? How thick would the cables need to be while under pressure of a firehose bladder?
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

I'm not sure about using cables but I know that you can make a nice frame weld free, I made a steel one using threaded rods and bolted it together
brianmwaters

Post by brianmwaters »

I had a similar idea, but to use climbing webbing instead of steel cable. I haven't done it yet, but here's what you do:

figure out the area of your air bladder that will be exerting force on your ski press. Width of press x length of press is probably a little liberal, but that number is fine.

decide what PSI you are going to run the press at.

area times pressure = force. this is the total force your press needs to withstand in order to not be ripped apart. multiply this number by at least two as a safety factor.

find the tensile strength of the steel cable you're using. divide the above force by the tensile strength, and that tells you how many wraps of cable you need.

and make sure you use the correct units! i convert everything into SI units, it's easier that way.

if your press blows up and your arm gets cut off by a flying cable that was just released from tension, it's not my fault. i'm not making any guarantees that the above formula will work at all. i think you should look into using climbing webbing instead. there's a thread in here somewhere about it.
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

brianmwaters wrote:I had a similar idea, but to use climbing webbing instead of steel cable. I haven't done it yet, but here's what you do:

figure out the area of your air bladder that will be exerting force on your ski press. Width of press x length of press is probably a little liberal, but that number is fine.

decide what PSI you are going to run the press at.

area times pressure = force. this is the total force your press needs to withstand in order to not be ripped apart. multiply this number by at least two as a safety factor.

find the tensile strength of the steel cable you're using. divide the above force by the tensile strength, and that tells you how many wraps of cable you need.

and make sure you use the correct units! i convert everything into SI units, it's easier that way.

if your press blows up and your arm gets cut off by a flying cable that was just released from tension, it's not my fault. i'm not making any guarantees that the above formula will work at all. i think you should look into using climbing webbing instead. there's a thread in here somewhere about it.
Since tensile strength is a linear force wouldn't you need to account for the cable coming in contact on the corener of the frame if you are using it wrapped around the frame. Pictures would be key for me to explain but I hope you understand what I am saying
brianmwaters

Post by brianmwaters »

Good point. I guess that depends on your rigging (i.e, whether or not your cable has curvature). Climbing webbing is very thin so I didn't have to consider that. I suppose it would be smart to make the safety factor even higher when working with steel.