growth ring orientation

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Kevin6q

growth ring orientation

Post by Kevin6q »

Hi All,

After reading through search results I have yet to find my answer so here are the questions:

Does the orientation of the growth rings matter? If so, how much? Do most builders have the rings parallel to the base, perpendicular to the base? What about end grain laminations with the end grain running top to base? I know all of these orientations matter in the aircraft world so I assume they matter with skis so I was curious what experiences you all have.

Thanks, Kevin
teleman36

growth ring orientation

Post by teleman36 »

Yes, ring orientation does matter. I use all ash cores for some of my skis, and did a meager test . I pretty much already knew that a complete vertical orientation would be stiffer from past experience in making windsor an ladderback chairs, as well as putting new ash or hickory handles on hammers and axes. Aside from just flexing two same sized strips of wood and feeling the difference a simple test with weighted ends of the wood strips showed a marked difference. I orient most cores as vertical as possible unless the goal is to produce a little mellower pop, then keep them flat. Can I feel this in a finished ski ? Who knows. A blind test would be a good idea, as the power of suggestion may be to strong. None the less a vertical grain will make a stronger ski. Good luck
heybulldog

Post by heybulldog »

It is fairly easy to get wood with this kind of vertical grain. When the lumber is sawn from the boule(Log), if it is cut like a pie it will give you an endgrain that is vertical. That is called quarter sawn. It is the least likley to break and it has the least shrink and expansion due to moisture content.
If you are planning to make more than three pairs of skis its simple to use your press and glue 6 or 7 flat sawn boards together. Cut each ski core out and they will be book matched. I don't think that it makes a difference but it sounds good when people ask you why you spent an entire summer building your own skis when you could have bought a pair for less than the press, molds, tools, epoxy, ect.. ect.. wold have cost you.
If at first you don't succeed, try try again.